My first broody.... :) I want to make sure I get it right!

mylittlezoo

Poppy Creek Farm
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
GA
I have a very small pet quality white silkie who I was given and I decided to keep as a companion to my roo and as a broody. Well, she has finally obliged and gone broody! She has (I think) three of her own eggs under her, and two Speckled Sussex which I donated
smile.png

She is in the barn, where she lives with my roo when the weather is bad, in a stall. She is sitting tight, eating scrambled egg and giving me stink-eye every time I go in there.
big_smile.png

I think this is day 4.... my question is: Do I need to take the roo out of the stall with her, and should I put a heat lamp on her or bring her in the house before she hatches? It's an unheated barn and it's around 30-35F here at night right now. It wouldnt be a problem to move her, I just don't want to disturb her. I'm so excited!

Any advice gratefully received
big_smile.png

Yes, you do need to remove your rooster. He will try and breed the hen when she is setting, and he may try and kill the chicks when they hatch. On the other had he might help take-care of the chicks. But to be on the safe side, I would remove him.
smile.png
I would put a heat lamp in the pen, so she can see at night. And in the day time I would turn it off. If you want to take the hen in the house, that would be fine. If you do, make sure you put her somewhere that isn't very noisy. Make sure you have food/water avaliable 24/7
Best of Luck to U!
hugs.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Yes, you do need to remove your rooster. He will try and breed the hen when she is setting, and he may try and kill the chicks when they hatch. On the other had he might help take-care of the chicks. But to be on the safe side, I would remove him.
smile.png
I would put a heat lamp in the pen, so she can see at night. And in the day time I would turn it off. If you want to take the hen in the house, that would be fine. If you do, make sure you put her somewhere that isn't very noisy. Make sure you have food/water avaliable 24/7
Best of Luck to U!
hugs.gif

Thanks, Mrs FP! I will work out where to put him tomorrow. I think I'll leave her be for now, I don't want to disturb her. I can set up a lamp very easily.... Keep your fingers crossed for me that I may have chicks in a couple weeks..... (well, in addition to the ones I have in my incubator
wink.png
)​

I hope you have another pen that you can put your roo.
hmm.png
So the chicks are due Saturday, March, 20th!!!!! Can't wait! So happy for you!!! I sure wish one of my hens would go broody ...
th.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I hope you have another pen that you can put your roo.
hmm.png
So the chicks are due Saturday, March, 20th!!!!! Can't wait! So happy for you!!! I sure wish one of my hens would go broody ...
th.gif

Yes, I have several, he can go in one of those easily. I do hope the chicks do come on a Saturday, then DH can share in it with me! These exciting things usually only happen when he is at work.​

Back
Top Bottom