My first Broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chix-in-GA, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I guess I have my first broody hen...She has been sitting for 2 days now with 3 eggs under her. [​IMG]

She is one of my little mutt hens and as sweet as they come. She did not even flinch when I moved her to see the eggs.

Should I be concerned that she is sitting in the most popular nest box? [​IMG]

None of the other hens laid eggs today! I cleaned and put new nest material in the boxes this afternoon to entice them...but I dunno if they will accept anything but the one box!

Any advice would be great...Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    separate her and her three eggs to one nest box else where or into a temp coop like a big dog carrier where she can nest , eat and drink but move around so she is not pooping on the eggs. mark her three eggs with an X in pencil so you know which are hers most likely she wont start completely until she has six or more eggs. good luck search around BYC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I'd move her and the eggs somewhere secluded so the others won't disturb her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by