My first Broody's eggs are hatching today! I have a question please.

I haven't heard the term "chick starter scratch".... that seems to be two different terms combined? "Chick starter" is processed feed, milled into a fine consistency and then shaped into crumble particles. "Scratch" is actual grains, either whole or cracked. In processed chick starter crumbles, you wouldn't be able to see pieces of corn the size of the ones visible on your plate... It's hard to tell in the picture, but I think I see other identifiable grains as well? Does the bag say what age chicks it's intended for? "Chick" is a stretchy term, since they are technically chicks for quite a while, but they grow fast. A chick that's several weeks old can do fine with that, if it has grit, but a chick that has just hatched won't do as well. That's why it's best to give them the general chick starter crumble, which they can eat from day 1. Another downside of the types of feed like that one where you can identify the different pieces, is that the chickens will pick out their favorites and leave out other parts, thus getting incomplete nutrition. But the feed that's been milled and looks uniform, they eat everything, thus getting a balanced meal. Scratch (of any type, where you can identify the grains) is fine as a treat, but not as their main meal.
This is what I have. It says from day 1 on...I thought it would be ok, since I've been feeding my chickens the layer version of this food for the past two years, but I can get the crumbles later on today. I don't mind.

Attachments

• 142843_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1578496700_.jpg
    142843_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1578496700_.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 142843_PT1._AC_SL1200_V1578496704_.jpg
    142843_PT1._AC_SL1200_V1578496704_.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 2
This is what I have. It says from day 1 on...I thought it would be ok, since I've been feeding my chickens the layer version of this food for the past two years, but I can get the crumbles later on today. I don't mind.
Ah, I see - it's that brand with the very unfortunate and confusing name. It has "scratch" in the brand name, but "scratch" is a term which means a very specific thing in the poultry world, so that can be confusing. It doesn't look like it's actual scratch, seems like it was meant as a starter. I just don't understand why the pieces are left so large. It's some kind of organic feed, and manufacturers of organic things like to beat you over the head with how special and fancy their products are, so maybe they mill their grains larger so you can see and identify the pieces - so you "know what you're getting", to avoid the "processed look" that they might ideologically be against. "All natural" grain-looking food. But ideology and marketing aside, if you look at the practical aspects of the situation, those are some large-looking chunks that I think will need grit to be digested. And I wouldn't trust the chickens getting a balanced meal that way. Chickens love corn so I can totally see them picking out the corn pieces and leaving other pieces behind. If I were in your place, I'd get them a more uniform-looking, more processed chick starter crumble, and save this one for treats. Or if you want to stick with this one, then get them some chick grit and provide it in a separate container. Hopefully their mom will teach them to eat it sparingly and not load themselves up on rocks and get impacted....... (just get some crumble)

Ah, I see - it's that brand with the very unfortunate and confusing name. It has "scratch" in the brand name, but "scratch" is a term which means a very specific thing in the poultry world, so that can be confusing. It doesn't look like it's actual scratch, seems like it was meant as a starter. I just don't understand why the pieces are left so large. It's some kind of organic feed, and manufacturers of organic things like to beat you over the head with how special and fancy their products are, so maybe they mill their grains larger so you can see and identify the pieces - so you "know what you're getting", to avoid the "processed look" that they might ideologically be against. "All natural" grain-looking food. But ideology and marketing aside, if you look at the practical aspects of the situation, those are some large-looking chunks that I think will need grit to be digested. And I wouldn't trust the chickens getting a balanced meal that way. Chickens love corn so I can totally see them picking out the corn pieces and leaving other pieces behind. If I were in your place, I'd get them a more uniform-looking, more processed chick starter crumble, and save this one for treats. Or if you want to stick with this one, then get them some chick grit and provide it in a separate container. Hopefully their mom will teach them to eat it sparingly and not load themselves up on rocks and get impacted....... (just get some crumble)
The same brand makes a crumble starter. I can just get that. When they're bigger they'll be in the yard with the rest of the flock.

The rest of the flock spends the day foraging in my yard as well. I feed them the layer version of this brand in their feeders, but they also forage all day and get treats from me, when I'm cutting veggies or fruit etc...

Back
Top Bottom