My first built chicken coop in progress...:) Opinions?

Missymac

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NY
My chicken coop is making great progress. It is 10' x 10' and quite large. Unfortunately I just got around to taking the pictures today so they are not the best. I boarded up the door as I have to finish the inside and the nesting boxes are not attached yet, I didn't want the children to play around in there and either break themselves or part of the nesting box.

Here is a front view:
008-12.jpg

Side view both sides are the same:
The chicken door will be on this side facing our yard.
003-15.jpg

Here is one of the windows complete with screen and glass.
004-18.jpg

And lastly here is one of the nesting boxes, they are raised from the floor. There is a roost along the top of the bottom row of boxes and along the top row of boxes. There will also be a roost/roosts on the left side wall oposite of the chicken entrance. There are 12 boxes in all. I know the picture isn't the best but like I said I had to take it through a window for now as I boarded up the door:)
005-18.jpg

I Currently have 28 chickens...I think...lol. Well everyone in my signature:) It may be down to 24 or 25 soon. I have a few that I am not convinced are not bantams, or at the very least are not just very small chickens. One is an EE, 2-3 are leghorns. All are pullets. The EE is much smaller at 11 weeks than any of her counterparts and the two Leghorns are about 1/2 the size of the other 3 at 6 weeks.

Thank you. It took more planning than I expected, but I want the house to be perfect for my girls, I will rehome a couple of the if it appears too crowded. It is quite rainy again today, I should have the interior and siding done by friday and then the run done by Saturday. Then all that is left will be to add the chickens gradually. The youngest ones will be going in first with my slightly older GLWs as they get allong great. Then the 6 EEs will be joining them as they get along with everyone. Then the older Golden Comets and Tetra tints. Lastly I will be putting in the Spitz and Polish as they are the least friendly of the bunch. I may keep them seperate for another week or two depending on how they act. Beautiful birds both of them, but they want to be the roost queens(together).

The run is going to be around 10' x 20' or 10' x 30' and covered.

Quote:
More than the chicken door then venting above the front side roof and the two windows?

I will be locking them in in colder weather but the spring-fall. I am not too worried about them getting attacked yet as they are surrounded by hunting hounds they do not let anything get by them:)

Quote:
More than the chicken door then venting above the front side roof and the two windows?

I will be locking them in in colder weather but the spring-fall. I am not too worried about them getting attacked yet as they are surrounded by hunting hounds they do not let anything get by them:)

You can see how it plays out but because chicken coops get hot, chicken poo smell can get very intense. Ammonia! But if it's mainly a winter coop and your birds can go out, at will all day long, then you should be ok because they can get out of the heat except when laying. If you find it does gets too hot in there, you could cut a big hole in the wall, cover it with wire from the inside, then in the fall set the cut out back in the hole and use 4 blocks with screws run thru the center (the old outhouse door knob) to hold it in place and sandwiched to the wire.

It was only visible in one photo but are your roof overhangs wired over or blocked?
If not the coons and martin will have a highway into your coop!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom