My first butchered chicken questions

FoodKillah

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Mediterranean Sea
Hello, today i butchered a chicken and the meat was really hard what could it be the reason?

Was it because it was 1.5 years old meatbird?
Or because it was free range 1.5 old meatbird?
Was it butchered the wrong way? Maybe it wasnt bled out properly?
Could it be because it was BBQed right away?

Man it was like chewing gum, i dont mean soft by that. Like rubber, like a car tire..

Please tell me your thoughts why my first butchered chicken meat was dark and hard?

The cleaned bird needs to rest in the refrigerator on ice for long enough to allow rigor mortis to pass, I believe about 48 hours. Lots of exercise in their last few days will make them tougher than lots of rest. Brining during the rest period also helps tenderize. Of course a younger bird is more tender than an older one as well. The cooking method also makes a difference.

This might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raditional-meats-from-historic-chicken-breeds

We made this mistake processing rabbit once- we culled them one night and BBQ'd them for lunch the next day. YUCK. I've found soaking meat like chicken or rabbit in salt water for at least 24 hours REALLY makes it tender! My mouth is watering just thinking about it <3.

thanks for your answers
hmm.png

if i knew how bad it would be the way i did the whole thing, i wouldnt butcher it lol

i also butchered 2 young guinea hens but they will wait a while in the fridge before we cook them, i hope those will be a nice dinner this time or i will never butcher again
tongue.png

my stomach feels blocked like i cant process that thing, let me drink that coke, ouch

Oh, if you had slow simmered it for chicken soup the meat would have fallen off the bones.... What you had there was indeed a "stewing hen".
I once bought a package years ago when I was young and it said "stewing hen"..... I roasted it, couldn't eat it as we could not even cut the meat. LOL....I told my Mom and she knew right away! She said No honey, that was soup bird you bought... Next time put her in the pot with enough water to cover and slow simmer her for a few hours..... You will have the nicest broth ever and the nice tender meat.... She told me to add other ingredients and now 28 years later I make the BEST homemade chicken soup in my opinion anyway.... and a few others have agreed that my chicken soup is the best. I never add extra stock for flavor but YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN OLD STEWING HEN!!!

Back
Top Bottom