My first chick hatched but something is on his bum.. PICS

lamNervousNellie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
So this little guy is the first to hatch.. I had to help him, which I would normally not do, but I miscalculated my lockdown date and just put them in lockdown last night, and they were ready to escape the eggs! Anyway, I helped him out because he was stuck to the inner membrane of the egg, I'm assuming because the humidity was not high enough due to only being in lockdown for about 8 hours when he started to hatch. Now that he's out, he's disconnected from his shell but he has this little red ball attached to the umbilical cord site. I'm hoping it's just undigested yolk and it will fall off but it's awfully red and veiny, so of course I assume the worst and think it's one of his organs or something
roll.png
Here are some pics. Can anyone tell me what this is, and if it will drop off on it's own? Thanks
hugs.gif

83702_2011-06-02_113400.jpg

83702_2011-06-02_113535.jpg

83702_2011-06-02_113611.jpg

Thanks my darlings! I assumed it was his "belly button", but I've never seen one so big so I was a little concerned. He hatched a little early so maybe that explains why it's a little bigger than I'm used to. Thanks again!

Quote:
What day are they on? That can happen if the temp is too high and they hatch a bit early. I tried hatching in my 1602n last year and the temp was messed up through the whole thing, the brahma chicks hatched on day 19 and I had to put a bunch down. They had huge yolk sacs and some had their intestines poking out. It was horrible.

Quote:
What day are they on? That can happen if the temp is too high and they hatch a bit early. I tried hatching in my 1602n last year and the temp was messed up through the whole thing, the brahma chicks hatched on day 19 and I had to put a bunch down. They had huge yolk sacs and some had their intestines poking out. It was horrible.

Today would be day 20, but I just put them on lockdown last night. I have a feeling that even though my therm was reading right around the 99 degree range, it couldve been warmer in spots. Sometimes I stick an instant-read therm down one of the vent holes & it reads 1-2 degrees higher.. Unfortunately they could both be inaccurate so who knows! Hopefully the other chicks are okay & have all their intestines intact. My first hatch was a dream & every one since has been a freakin nightmare! It frustrates me so badly because I feel like I knew so little for my first hatch & now the more I know, the more problems I have!
he.gif
Ggrrahfdsfgfsaarr! I guess ignorance IS bliss! Cross your fingers for me!

Good Luck, I have seen even larger sacks out and the chick has done just fine. Early hatch chicks seem to get over it fine, the late hatch is worse. Hope all goes well!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom