My first chick hatched today under a broody hen, what do I need to know?

SFBayArea

Songster
10 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Hey guys, never before have I had the pleasure of hatching brand new chicks to this world. Well, finally after seating for quite a while on 4 eggs, one of them hatch this morning. I hope the rest will hatch today and or tomorrow.
Questions:
1. How soon do baby chicks need to start drinking water? Will they find water on their own?
2. How soon do baby chicks need to start feeding? Again, I assume they will find food on their own? I currently have all flock mix for the chickens, I assume it is ok for the baby chick as well?
3. Should I give mealworms to baby chicks? If so, when should I start giving it to them?
4. Last, but not least when should I start letting chicks get out of the coop? I made my door high enough so that small chicks can't get out, while adult birds have no problem jumping up to it. I can build a small ramp for the chicks, but want to ensure I am not letting them out too soon. I was tinking maybe week 3 to start them let out of the coop? Too soon, too late?

Thank you!

They need water right pretty soon after, chick feed within 3 days after hatching. No mealworms or treats until 8 weeks old. Building a ramp is a good idea, I'd leave seperated with their mum for 10 days and then let them out. Watch to make sure the others won't try anything with them.

Hey guys, never before have I had the pleasure of hatching brand new chicks to this world. Well, finally after seating for quite a while on 4 eggs, one of them hatch this morning. I hope the rest will hatch today and or tomorrow.
Questions:
1. How soon do baby chicks need to start drinking water? Will they find water on their own?
2. How soon do baby chicks need to start feeding? Again, I assume they will find food on their own? I currently have all flock mix for the chickens, I assume it is ok for the baby chick as well?
3. Should I give mealworms to baby chicks? If so, when should I start giving it to them?
4. Last, but not least when should I start letting chicks get out of the coop? I made my door high enough so that small chicks can't get out, while adult birds have no problem jumping up to it. I can build a small ramp for the chicks, but want to ensure I am not letting them out too soon. I was tinking maybe week 3 to start them let out of the coop? Too soon, too late?

Thank you!
I’m assuming the mom will care for them. She will take them to water and food but make sure she does! She will also protect against aggressive hens but mostly the others won’t bother them. But as last person said observe to be sure. Make sure everything is accessible for the chicks and mom will show them the ropes. When babies are shipped they go with nothing for 2-3 days. She will keep them warm when they need it. I have had a couple hens who did not really want to be moms so good to monitor and try to trust the mom. Hard not to interfere 😂

The mom will take care of everything, she wouldn’t let them get too far away, so don’t worry about them hopping and doing stupid stuff. If she’s still sitting, I suggest you put some food close to her, many times they would get frustrated if the chicks don’t hatch in time and start eating the eggs.

I would put a chick size feeder and water drinker next to the nest.
Let the mom lead them out to food and water when she is ready.
I would wait a week or 2 before letting mom lead them outside.
Keep a close eye on the mom to make sure she keeping the chicks safe from aggressive flock members.
If she isn't protecting them very well then make a barrier around her.
We have large fowl Cochins that go broody and make great moms.
But my rooster went nuts and attacked a broody hen.
He has went to freezer camp and we got a good rooster.

Back
Top Bottom