My First Chick!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlueCamas, Jan 26, 2012.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    This is my first time attempting to incubate eggs and 5 out of 8 made it to lock down. Today was day 22 and when I came home from school there was a little fuzzy butt in the bator! [​IMG]I honestly didn't expect any to hatch and now I have to pull a brooder together quickly. He's still in the bator and not fully dried off. What do I do? When do I take him out? He is currently sleeping on a shred of paper towel I gave him so he could get off the mesh. I have a brooder, but I have 4 week olds in there. I have chick starter but he doesn't need to eat or drink until tomorrow right? Sorry guys, I'm just a bit panicked! [​IMG]
    Here he is!
    The weirdest thing is that he has very light feathering on his legs! [​IMG]He is positively a purebred Bantam Plymouth Rock. I have the parents, and some chicks that the mother hatched herself had clean legs. What's going on!?! Some genetic blooper?
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    just get a cardboard box with a light bulb over it for a makeshift brooder and put him in it as soon as possible. I would give him food and water right away, Where did you hear not to give it to him until tomorow? and congradulations on the adorable baby!

3. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I just that they don't need to eat for a day because they are still absorbing you yolk. The main reason I have left him in the brooder is because I don't have another light bulb! My brooder is huge so do you think I could put him in a box w/ food and water on paper towels and put it in the brooder under the heat lamp? I just don't want the older chicks to find a way in the box and hurt him. Oh and btw, he just hatched about an hour ago.

4. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I don't think it would be good to put him with the older hens, I'm pretty sure they would kill him, and if they didn't they would terrify him so much that he would be miserable. If you don't have a light bulb than it would be best to just keep him in the incubator where it is warm until you can get one. at this age heat is the most vital thing to his health.

5. naturespace

naturespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    have any of the other eggs pipped? he is going to be pretty lonely if there isn't another his age. you might have to go on craigslist or the loal feed store to find a flock-mate. You should wait for him to be completely dry before opening the bator again. then dip his beak in some water so he starts to drink and give him some food.

CONGRATS! I'm waiting for 12 eggs to hatch tomorrow or the next day. exciting.

6. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I wasn't planning on putting him in the coop. I was hoping to "put him in a box w/ food and water on paper towels and put it in the brooder under the heat lamp" The older chicks couldn't get to him but this way he could have a proper heat lamp until i get one.

7. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    No pipping that I can see yet. But I'm hopeful[​IMG]
    I'm really worried that he is going to be alone. I have some 4 week old bantam barnie chicks, but he is much to small to go in with them!

8. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    oh. well, like what naturespace said you should probably leave him in the incubator until he is all dry. even after he is dry I might let him stay in there for a little while, at least until one of the other chicks hatches so that he can have a friend to hang out with.

9. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Thanks for the advice, I really hope at least one more hatches[​IMG]

10. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! keep me posted ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by