My first chicken coop build with pics. suggestions, advice, critique requested please.

I see what you mean. yeah I figured out the messy duck thing pretty quick. when I got the ducks/chicken, I build a 6'longx3'wide open top cage for them with food and water on a table in the middle. well at first it was fine, but close to 2weeks, it was obvious that the side the ducks preferred to stay on was nasty and needed constant maintenance, where as the side the chicken preferred wasn't nearly as bad. by week 3 I had to change the bedding daily because it was sopping wet, that's when the ducks got relocated to the garage as their temporary housing.

The way I'm playing with idea for the chicken to get up to the coop, the ducks most likely won't have access anyway. so they'll be in the same building, but the chicken upstairs and the ducks (and soon geese) will be downstairs.

As for building a coop at ground level. Hopefully this will only be temporary (1-2years). My wife and I have plans to build our own chicken coop that would be the size of a small/medium garden shed (similar to the size now), but one of those real nice and fancy looking once with windows and nice roof and all sorts of stuff. like the ones you see in magazines. But until we've saved up enough money/collected enough supplies to do that, I only had a budget of roughly $300 or less. This seemed like the best idea to get the most bang for the buck.

So no disrespect, but other than the "scrap your idea and build a coop at ground level", any other suggestions or advice for the setup I currently have??? I got some more work on it done last night and have a roost build, and started building a feed/water area. I also ran chicken wire across all the openings along the side of the roof. so I'll try to get pics of all that up today.

Back
Top Bottom