My first chickens are to arrive soon - now what?

KatyT

In the Brooder
Hello there, Chickeneers!

My very first chickens (4 girls) are to arrive shortly. I’m reading that upon arrival I should leave them in their coop for a couple of days so they get to “know“ their new home. Any thoughts on that from experienced chicken holders? How many days, for example? How should I give them food and water?
It seems counterintuitive for me to coop them up… But then I’m a little claustrophobic!

Thanks you wonderful bunch!

Greetings from Germany!

Hello! How old are they? Yes, if weather allows, you keep them closed in their coop so they can get settled, maybe a week.
Hi there,
thanks for your quick response.
The chickens are either 12 to 14 or 18 to 22 weeks old. I do not know yet, which ones they will give me.
How will I feed them? Give them water? I purchased rather large water and feed containers and the coop is not that large and I’m worried they will peck at each other due to the space restrictions…

Thanks again,
Katy

Any photos of your set up?

If it is hot, and/or the coop floor space isn't big enough to allow them space to move around freely (roughly 4 sq ft/0.37 sq meter) per chicken, I would not lock them in for safety reasons. However that means you will likely need to herd them into the coop or manually place them in each night until they learn to use it.

Hi there,
thanks for your quick response.
The chickens are either 12 to 14 or 18 to 22 weeks old. I do not know yet, which ones they will give me.
How will I feed them? Give them water? I purchased rather large water and feed containers and the coop is not that large and I’m worried they will peck at each other due to the space restrictions…

Thanks again,
Katy
Do they have a run too?

I never lock my new ones up, but I have an attached run. So they are free to go outside at will, but are contained. Truthfully, once my birds have slept in my coop, I have never had a bird not go back there the next night.

This time of year, I would worry more about excessive heat. So if you have a run, keep them in the run/coop set up for a week if you want.

Mrs K

Thank you all!
I‘ve just ordered my four standard-sized girls and they will be arriving on Tuesday. 💃
They are around 18 weeks old and will be sleeping in an Omlet Eglu MK2 which is attached directly to the outside of their run. There is a large cover over a third of the run for shade.
After reading all of your helpful input, I‘ve decided to try leaving them out in the run and making sure they will go to sleep inside the coop when darkness falls.

I admit I’m a tad nervous but also very excited. I’m so glad my friend recommended this wonderful forum!

Again, thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom