My first Chickens

bettsrj

Hatching
7 Years
May 22, 2012
Hello my name is Rebecca and about a month ago I purchased my first Rhode Island Red chicks for my layers. My goal is to provide my family and myself with the best eggs and meat possible. Knowing where our food sources are coming from and what our food sources are being fed means a lot to me and my family. I look forward to learning what I can about raising chickens and learning from this communities vast knowledge.
frow.gif

I'm also getting ready to purchase our fist meat chickens - can anyone tell my why I should or shouldn't vaccinate my chicks with the Coccidiosis Vaccination? I want my chickens to be organically raised - meaning they will be fed an all natural diet and I will be putting them in a mobile chicken coop until time to butcher. I'm on the fence about this vaccine. Can anyone give me the pro's and con's to the medication?
Also what about the Marek's Disease vaccine?

Thank you for your time

welcome-byc.gif

Though it's good doing things organically, prevention is better than cure with chickens. Some of these diseases can wipe out you flock in no time. Better to vaccinate them.

Welcome to BYC! We're doing the same - raising chickens to know where our food is coming from and how raised. Can't convince hubby to do meat birds yet - so far just eggs. We are doing "organic" too. We did opt for the medicated starter feed (I believe that covers the Marek's). Not sure about info on it here but the place we got our chicks said at least 6 weeks on the medicated feed. Then we're onto organic feed. Since the hens don't lay until 5 or 6 months, I felt okay with that. Not sure what I'd do with meat birds but probably the same. We also have a small flock (4 going to 6 in a couple years) so if something does happen, while it would be terrible to lose any of the girls we're also not looking at losing dozens of birds. I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of good info about the pros and cons of the vaccines here - the site is a fantastic resource. Best of luck with your flock!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom