My First Chicks (breed guesses welcome!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CitySilkies88, Mar 23, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Chick forum, my neighbor randomly surprised me two days ago with a box of six peeps from Tractor Supply. She knew I already owned three Silkies and that I was looking to expand my flock. It said on the box that they are "Red Pullets". It doesent really matter to me what breed they are. But they definately don't look like Rhode Island Red chicks just compared to pics I have seen of RR chicks. But i'm not expert!

Anyways I thought I would share some pics of the little fuzzbutts.

And since they were a surprise I wasent prepared with pine bedding. So you will see in their first couple of pics that they were on cedar bedding for two days. But I wised up quick and they are on shredded paper towels until my pay day (tuesday) when I can get some pine bedding.

Anyways like it says in the title. Anyone who wants to guess their breed go for it! I know the pics airn't the best in the world but I hope to get more soon.

This was day one/make shift brooder day one (yes they had 95 degree heat)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these were taken today.

[​IMG]

This is my favorite chick. She/he is the darkest and has a chipmunk pattern.

[​IMG]

They were pretty freaked out by the camera lol.
    [​IMG]

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
  3. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Awww, great to know! They will be beautiful :).

4. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Yes, and my two are nearly as friendly as the buff orp. If I am working in thei greenhouse and realize there's a chicken on my shoulder, it's going to be the orp. If there's two or three, it's the orp and the sex links. Beautiful birds once they get through the chuggly phase.

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Yes I have one and SHe is a FABULOUS layer and they develop faster then most breeds and ussually lay at 4-5 months! great editions to your flock! Next you need polish :) lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by