My First chicks from Hen!!!!

mrstrouty

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Wilburton,Pa
My hen hatched 4 babies yesterday....HOORAY!!!!! Yes I'm sappy, you wouldn't believe how exciting this is for me
big_smile.png

I will certainly take pictures, but so far it's hit and miss. Momma hen is being quite protective and since it has been cold here, she's keeping them under her most of the time.

I started early with messing with her eggs, plus the broody always trusted me.
Now I feed her and help teach the babies how to eat.
Anyone else gets pecked if they go within neck range.

I just got my first batch of chickens a couple weeks ago and i caught the chicken fever BAD! I want them to breed freely with minimal work on my part.. how does that work? you just leave the eggs in the coop and let the rooster do his job? then the hen should do hers right? how many times a year will a hen brood? the wont try in the blistering cold of northern MI right?

I just got my first batch of chickens a couple weeks ago and i caught the chicken fever BAD! I want them to breed freely with minimal work on my part.. how does that work? you just leave the eggs in the coop and let the rooster do his job? then the hen should do hers right? how many times a year will a hen brood? the wont try in the blistering cold of northern MI right?

????? Crack a couple of the eggs open and see if they are fertile. Lots of info on BYC about that. Then if one of your hens goes broody, you will be set. Lots of info on this site about that too. Depends on the hen how often she goes broody. Cold is a factor only if the eggs freeze before the hen settles down to brood. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom