My First Coop and Run!!

OneLostHen

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Houston TX
Hi all!! I am new to chicken owning and already loving it! This is our little set up for the birdies!
The coop/ fenced in run was originally for rabbits. But that didnt work, so I decided on chickens instead.
The coop has a shelf and an under layer that they can crawl up on. And it is 4x4x10.
I wanted it to be quite open as we live in South Texas:

We just built the run Sunday. It is 20x25. Plenty of rollie pollies to pick at as well as grass and dirt.

This was before I moved the dog house a little further away from the fence line. I was hoping they would use it for shelter or to nap as well....

Now the dog house is a lil further away and not facing the dog. So hopefully they will use it now.

I love having this much room! If I wanted to get a few more, I feel they would still have ample amount of space.
All I would ever want is about 4 or 5 anyways!

Thanks for looking! Critiques are welcome! I want to learn as much as possible.....

hi, i am in the process of building my first coop, too! I like your chicken tractor, looks great! one question, do they have a roost they can sleep on? didn't see it in the picture if so :) thanks for posting!

I dont yet have one.. trying to figure out the best place to put one... somewhere in the coop, but because it wasnt originally for chickens, we didnt build it really tall.. Im making plans for it though!
Thank you!

Here we are!!
Now I have a few questions about a roost, Ive been looking around for info, but still havent found exactly what im looking for.
First, does a roost need to be covered? In my coop, the only roofed area is the nesting area.. Wich does not lock up. So is the roost fine as it is now? Or should I extend the roof to cover the roost?
Second, the highest roost is about a foot off the ground, is that sufficient?

Here are some pics, I know its kinda make-shift... But its all I got!
hu.gif

Any more info? Critiques? I need all the info I can get!

i think it depends on your weather? if it gets cold and drafty at night you may want it to be covered

Back
Top Bottom