My first coop, anything obviously wrong?

sharpy101

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
Hi all,

After years of persistence from my wife, I finally gave in and built a coop for our chickens, and to my delight I now can't get enough of learning about chickens, and seem to be spending much more time with them that I would have thought a year or two ago.

OK, so asking for advice once I've already built the coop is kind of backward, I would have been better off asking beforehand, but if there's anything that needs to be fixed now, I'm still in building mode, and would love the feedback.

I'll add a few pictures of the coop so far, and some progress shots for anyone else interested in building something similar.

I'm also wondering how many chickens it'd be suited for also?

Last edited:
Nice!

Roosts should be higher than nests..or they'll roost in nests and poop them up.

What are the dimensions? Rule of thumb is minimum 4 sqft coop and 10 sqft run per bird.

Put your location in your profile, will help folks advise.

Thanks Aart, I'm from Tasmania, Australia. The coops around 4ft x 7ft, the runs 7ft x 9ft. I have found the chickens(3) rather the nesting boxes, and have added another roost above the two pictured, however they haven't used it as yet. I may need to cover the boxes for a few nights to get them to move.....they seem so comfortable in the boxes though. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom