My first coop - Under construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Avonlea22, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I have 4 Buff Orps coming October 12th, so I've been busy building a coop. The coop is attached to the back of my shed, so I wanted it to compliment the shed. The siding is HardiBoard fiber cement board. I didn't take step by step photo's, but I'm taking pics at different stages. The first three show the coop from various angles. In this photo, you can see where the nest boxes will protrude out and where I will have a 12" x 12" window:

[​IMG]

The next one shows the same but at an angle:

[​IMG]

and this one shows the front. There will be a 2' x 3' door to the left, and a 14" x 18" window on the right:

[​IMG]

The next photo shows the siding installed:

[​IMG]

and the last is after the first coat of paint. The fan is there to try and cure glue that I put down for floor tile. It was so humid today it took almost 12 hours to cure. I'm using floor tile like you'd find in most businesses, known as VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile):

[​IMG]

So what do you all think? I'll update the thread with more photos as the build progresses.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Looking good so far!

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Whoot! Whoot! Awesome job! Those are some lucky hens.

4. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks GREAT! I think you will have 4 happy Buffs!

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Looks mighty small. You know as well as the rest of us you ain't gonna stop at 4. But what you have looks really nice.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Beautiful Job!! It is going to look great matching the other building. [​IMG] very very nice.

7. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Looks great! You are going to have some real happy BO's!!

8. kreolechick

kreolechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    East Mountains
    Very Nice! Chicks will be happy!!

9. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I finished up the floor tile and the roof today and began working on some trim work. My next steps are to do as much trim as possible and finishing the walls inside with plywood. The main door will come after next Friday's paycheck, and the windows are ordered and hopefully on their way soon. Really not a lot left to do. [​IMG]

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by