My first Cornish X Chicks.

lizanne

Songster
11 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Citrus Heights, Ca
I recieved my babies in the mail on Tuesday, I bought 22 Cornish X, 1 Australorp, 1 EE, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Dark Cornish, and my mystery chick. I knew the Cornish would grow fast, but Holy Cow!! They are so much bigger than the other ones. At what point should I seperate them from my regular chicks (or do I have to)? I worry that the smaller chicks won't get enough to eat with all the fatties in there.

White Leghorn (left), Cornish X (right)

White Leghorn (Left), Cornish X (right)

White Leghorn (left), Cornish X (right)

Isn't it amazing?! They double in size daily it seems like!!
Probably best if you separate them after 5 days so you can take food away at night as recommended but I personally have a group that is about 2 weeks old that are still with my "regular" chicks. I plan on separating them in a week or so once they are TOO big to stay with the others, though, and so I can limit food and change to a broiler ration.

What are you feeding your's now? I'm giving them Flock Raiser (20 % protein) mixed with Quail Starter (28% protein). I also have Broiler Booster added to their water.

They are on a standard medicated chick starter that I think is 18%. I would have separated them by now (usually only leave them about 4-5 days with the others) but I'm leaving town next week and trying to make chores as easy as possible for the hubby
wink.png

How long do you all who have experience with the cornish X keep them until "freezer camp day"? We are feeding them the grower starter 24% feed (DuMor). Also, any alternative suggestions on what to feed them that yields better results?

Thanks

How long do you all who have experience with the cornish X keep them until "freezer camp day"? We are feeding them the grower starter 24% feed (DuMor). Also, any alternative suggestions on what to feed them that yields better results?

Thanks
After about 3 weeks we start to reduce the protein to around 19%.
We put them out on pasture at 4 weeks and will keep them out till as long as 8 weeks with no problems, other than predators.
Camp freezer by week 9 no mater what.

Do they start running into issues after 9 weeks? I've also heard that you lower the protein content of the feed, the older they get. Is that correct?
frow.gif
I'm a meat chicken newbie, so any advice is appreciated.

Don't try and keep them past 9-10 weeks. They get so big they just want to sit around and eat all day long.
I feed 24% protein feed for 4 weeks and then switch to 20% for the remaining time. Plus, they have all the grass and bugs they can catch. If I have garden scraps I'll throw that to them also.

Back
Top Bottom