My first duck egg!!!

sonjab314

Constant State of Confusion
10 Years
May 15, 2010
Missouri
I went out to check on the chickens a few minutes ago and collect eggs. All my chickens lay in the same hole even though I have a 12 hole box
roll.png
. Well I noticed an egg in one of the bottom holes. I went over and got it and it was a duck egg. It is from my Silver Appleyards that I hatched out last July. I hatched 6 eggs and got 4 drakes and 2 hens. Needless to say, I believe the egg will be fertile lol. I'm storing it so that hopefully I will get more this week and set them. I'm excited
wee.gif
. But I am still trying to figure out how she got her fat butt in the nest hole to begin with
lau.gif
(they are big duckies)

sonjab314

Constant State of Confusion
10 Years
May 15, 2010
Missouri
b.hromada :

Congrats to you!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
Isn't it soooo egg-citing?

Yes it is. I didn't figure they would start laying this early.​

maggiemmm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Kewadin area
I know the feeling!! Darkwing AND Fifi-quack are both laying !! after I found Ice-cream - Fish dead the other morning I about cried ... she was the only one laying over the entire Winter! She just died. head tucked under her wing and dead. ???? Such a sweet little Indian Runner - such a little Princess - always getting the treats FIRST thank you! Don't know what happened. heart attack?? She was healthy yesterday fine . I guess I need to take every day as it comes and appreciate every day as it comes. You never know.

maggiemmm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Kewadin area
Thank you ! I appreciate the sentiment. I should NEVER take to heart the animal I have.. but I do . Cry over every last one . Buggars!!
My husband says , They are only ducks " well, they are sweet, lovable, funny , wonderful ducks and I really feel a loss when they die. I probably should never have had animals.. Never would have made it as a farmer ! I treated my students the same - with love and compassion .. no difference - I've cried over both !!!
big_smile.png

Top Bottom