My first Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenFox, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Ok so I managed to walk out of TSC with 2 ducklings today after we had to pull in to change a flat tire. I have absolutely no idea what kind they are nor do I know anything about ducks. I know ,stupid, but I've had chicks and figured they can't be that much different right? [​IMG]

Here they are

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Meet Kit Kat. An employee told me they came from Mt. Healthy but when I checked their website the only ducks they showed were mallards and white pekins which these guys are definetly not. What do you think? Chocolate runner or maybe Khaki Campbell? ( I have no idea what I'm talking about but those 2 are the closest looking ones I could find on meyers site. lol)
    They're friendly little things.

2. duckmommy64

duckmommy64 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    Illinois
    Your two babies look like Khaki Campbells. They look just like mine when they were little.

3. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    X2 on Khaki Campbells, I'm hopefully getting one on the third. Very cute babies! If you haven't already, be sure to check the stickies for care info.[​IMG]

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Our first ducklings are now 10 wks old. What I've learned that I wish I had known much earlier is that ducks are routine animals. Changes scare them. New bedding, new location, any changes to their routine will take time and patience.

They grow FAST. I mean like WOW, I was shocked.

I would have handled them much more when they were little so they wouldn't be so skiddish. Sounds like yours won't have that problem[​IMG] and they sure are cute!

Just thought I'd share what I've learned[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    X2. Those are khaki campbells! Have fun raising ducks, you will really enjoy them :).

6. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks Everyone! Hubby doesn't want me to keep them forever. He thinks I'll actually give them away when they grow up. :gig Sometimes I wonder about him. :rolleyes: I've already got a spot picked out in our yard for a pond for them.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

There are some differences in chicks to ducklings, so I'd read this so you can make adjustments. Have fun and be sure to post pics as they grow
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by