1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first ducks - and, what is she?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BorderKelpie, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Ok, so I went to TSC two weeks ago and lo and behold, they had ducks. My DD and I had been discussing getting a few (like, maybe three) so when we saw what looked like Cayugas and a Khaki Campbell, we went for it. But, of course, TSC said we had to buy 6 (state law, blah, blah, blah, whatever). Anyway, one looks like a Rouen, one is crested and one was yellow with pink feet. I figured she was a Pekin, but as the days and weeks go by, she is changing drastically. She started out with a dark patch on her back. I thought the others were picking on her, but never caught them doing anything. Now, her head is dark, her neck/crop area is still yellow, and most of her back is growing in very dark. Even her wings are coming in with color. I wish I could post pix but I'm at work and unable to. [​IMG]
    Any ideas on what she may be?
    She is growing and seems happy enough, so I don't think it's a health issue.
    I have another question concerning temperment on ducks. They are no where near as friendly as my chicks. No matter what I do, they run from me, my chicks are usually perched on my shoulder and begging for treats, the ducks act like I'm going to eat them. Is this normal or am I allowed to get my feelings hurt?
    Thanks!

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    It is normal, if you have more than one duck it is very hard to get in their flock. They bond very tightly, I held mine all the time and it made no difference. I have six ducks and they are never anymore than 5 feet from each other. Only one that will let me pet her but the others throw a fit when I do.

As far as what she is(sounds like a drake with the dark head) it is hard to tell without a pic. If the head is turning black with iridescent green it could be a mallard or a rouen.

3. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Would a Mallard or a Rouen start off yellow with pink feet, though? I always thought they were dark, sort of a camoflauge thing?
    Thanks for the reply, I was trying to figure out what I had done to traumatize these guys so much. I really felt badly that they were so skittish around me.
    I guess with Cameron, it's going to be a waiting game to see what s/he turns out to be.
    [​IMG]

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Might be a Swedish with splash coloring - a lot of my swedish ducklings looked yellowish, but then got more colors as they got their feathers.

do a search (maybe Feathersite? or google images) for Blue Swedish Ducklings, and see if maybe that was it.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you post pictures when you get home?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  6. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    It sounds like it could be a muscovy of some sort???

Laney

7. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    [​IMG]
    I have no way to post pix. I guess I need to break down and get internet at home.
    lol - I spend too much on the internet, I need to put a limit on my spending this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by