My First Egg...When will I get it???

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I have an EE (21 weeks), a Speckled Sussex (22 weeks), a Polish/Silkie mix (23 weeks), and a Silkie (19 weeks). I know that my silkie and polish/silkie wont be laying until way later this year but my Sussex and my EE should be laying soon right? I actually got a squat from my EE today! I was so excited! How much longer until I get that magical first egg??? I thought my Speckled Sussex would lay before my EE but maybe not!

Last edited:
Should be soon for the Sussex and EE. I have 25 pullets who are 23 weeks old. I got my first egg at 20 weeks old. Not sure which breed laid it. Now I'm getting 3-6 eggs a day. Not everyone is laying but several are. Even after the first egg, it does take awhile for regular laying to get established. I have only gotten one green EE egg so far and that was a week ago. Waiting for a second one!

Mine laid anywhere from 23-28 weeks old.

It won't be long! The eggs are well worth waiting for!

Gosh I cant wait!!! I'm not really supposed to have chickens where I live but I wanted to smuggle them in just for the eggs
tongue.png
They don't bother anyone though. I only have four.

I hope you don't get caught then. I'd be devastated if I had to give up my girls!

The eggs are so good! We have a flock of 8 and we go through the eggs very quickly! I'm debating whether or not to add two more hens. Just so we can pass out eggs like we promised.

Here's a pic of our eggs. It's very rare that the carton is full!

a710b96d.jpg

Last edited:
Oh we make sure that they are not a big eye sore. We built a little fence on the exposed side but we aren't trying to be sneaky. If we get caught, there is a farm right behind us and we would ask to lease a little peice of land to put them on so they wouldn't be given away.

I don't ever think a coop or run is an eye sore ever.lol. I love every one of them, whether if they are built from free materials to premade.

They do get noisy. I have one hen, my dark brahma that squawks all day long. I swear she is louder then a rooster. My only other real noisy one is my speckled sussex. You'll soon find out what I'm talking about, it's a constant braaaaak, braaaaaak, braaaaaaak. My dark brahma is the top hen, the SS is very low in the flock. I hope you have nice neighbors. My neighbors hate chickens, but we are allowed to have them.

4 hens is not enough, you might as well add a few more.;)

I hope you get your first eggs soon! It will be any day with your EE squatting. My oldest EE lays daily. My younger EE lays every other day, but they are the best tasting eggs I think. Raising chickens has been a real great experience for us. We built our coop right inside our garage, with the run along side our house.

Oh my EE does that whenever she sees me! I open the coop doors and there she is in my face going baaaaaaaaaak baaaaaaaaaaaak baaaaaaaak. I had to smack her one time she was so annoying! I cannot get more. I would have to make my coop bigger and all of the noise would attract attention and I don't need that until after I get my first egg.

You should start getting eggs pretty soon. They usually lay eggs at 22-24 weeks, so it should be pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom