My first Egg! Who is the best chook in the coop???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChkMom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. NewChkMom

NewChkMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Gypsum
    Got our first egg yesterday. YEAH!! [​IMG]
    19 weeks and 1 day! Not sure who layed it. I suspect it came from one of my three Marans, but not sure.
    I have 3 CMs and 3 BRs that look mature enough to have done it. It's too dark for the BOs, and the 3 EEs look pretty imature.
    Anybody want to help a newbie out with identifying the layer?
    The other two eggs came from the hens that I got, just two weeks after my 15 babies arrived. I am so impatient that I bought 4 laying hens to get me thru the wait.

One is from an EE(color is a little washed out - it's green) and one is from my RIR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Looks like a Marans egg to me. Not too dark, but those speckles are pretty dark!

3. BoerneChickens

BoerneChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I got my first ones yesterday (my avatar pic) I am thinking mine are also from my Marans. She is 23 weeks my others of the same age are all EEs and look less mature than the Marans. Yours looks about the same color as mine - so I'm agreeing with your Marans hypothesis [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's a Marans egg. Congratulations!

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Congrats!!! The 1st eggs are so eggciting!

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My BR often lays eggs that look like that now, but when she started, they weren't very dark and didn't have spots. So since yours are like that from the start, I'd guess a Maran pullet as well. You'll have to listen for the egg song this weekend, and run out to see who's squawking [​IMG]

7. NewChkMom

NewChkMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Gypsum
    Thank you all for your replies!![​IMG]
    I will definitely be listening over the weekend to see which of the 3 Marans it is. I have a sneaky suspicion that it is our "special" Marans pullet. She was the ugly late bloomer of the bunch. We were worried she would turn out to be a roo, because until a month or two ago she didn't look like the others. The only way I know which one she is now, is that she a 1/2 shade darker than the other two girls and one goofy wing feather.
    She just had that look in her eye yesterday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by