MY FIRST EGG!!!!!

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
I'm so excited!!! I went out to give my girls some treats. 6 out of 7 came running. So I was calling for Sophia to come out and eat, and she was squaking from the nesting box. She didn't want to get up. So I went in and got her, and when I lifted her butt, she saw the egg and started pecking at it, LOL. I'm so proud of her! I never thought a chicken laying an egg would be such a big deal, but I'm so happy!

Attachments

• 20220116_114654.jpg
    20220116_114654.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 11
I'm so excited!!! I went out to give my girls some treats. 6 out of 7 came running. So I was calling for Sophia to come out and eat, and she was squaking from the nesting box. She didn't want to get up. So I went in and got her, and when I lifted her butt, she saw the egg and started pecking at it, LOL. I'm so proud of her! I never thought a chicken laying an egg would be such a big deal, but I'm so happy!
Congrats! I recommend blowing out the egg to preserve it.

That was a really neat article!

I now have 5 chickens laying eggs!!

I do have a question... Sophia was giving an egg every other day. She hasn't laid one since Thursday. It's been 5 days. Why did she suddenly stop? She is acting good and happy, and eating like a pig, as usual.

That was a really neat article!

I now have 5 chickens laying eggs!!

I do have a question... Sophia was giving an egg every other day. She hasn't laid one since Thursday. It's been 5 days. Why did she suddenly stop? She is acting good and happy, and eating like a pig, as usual.

They all have their own schedule. It may take them a while to settle down on their own schedule. Especially for beginners!

From our observation, once they settle down, each hen maintains her own cycle. An egg production cycle ranges from 25 to 48 hours. So, each day they'll lay a little later than the previous day. When they lay an egg in the late afternoon, they'll take a break next day, and start at the early hours of the following day.

Being broody, molting, or winter (rapid reduction of hours of daylight) will disrupt their egg production.

It's also interesting that each hen has her own signature of her egg - always the same color, approximately same size (in terms of weight), and shape.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom