My First Egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JLMom, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JLMom

JLMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Just when I had given up hope that my girls would ever start to lay before winter, my beautiful RIR hen Einstein starts acting really weird. She has been very squawky for days now, and squats and spreads her wings when I pet her. I call my BFF (who has had chickens for years) and she agrees that this is pre-egg laying behavior.

But today was different. She was very vocal all morning. Weird noises too. Then she almost hopped my stone wall, and was standing on top of it, almost crowing. Then she goes into the doghouse (she's never done that before) and walks around and SQUATS!! I panic, thinking she will lay an egg there!
    So I run into the house and look for a cardboard box to use as a make-shift nesting box (we have been remodeling, and its soccer season, so we have neglected to make the nest boxes).

I come out with the molded plastic bathtub my now 10 year old used as a baby! I fill it with shavings, add a florescent orange golf ball, and put it in her coop. Well, she goes in it/ comes out a few times. I go back in the house, but can see her from the window walking around looking fretful.

Finally, I see her flutter into the coop (its a 2 story coop). I finish up what I am doing and go out after about 20 mins. I see her sitting in the bathtub!!

She looked much more relaxed. She sat there for nearly an hour, and when she finally stood up, I felt under her and felt a nice warm pullet egg!!
    It was perfect!!!

edited for typos

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Congrats![​IMG]

3. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats on your first egg, Quite a story, can just see you running around looking for a nesting box. [​IMG]

4. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    You really had a good detailed story to tell.

Me: I opened the coop this morning at 8am, looked around and found my first egg! It had to be one of my two Dominiques. I ran to the house to show my son and wife our first egg [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

--Hugh

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    [​IMG] Congratulations!!! Love the first egg-now wait...many more to come and OMG what am I going to do with all these eggs!
    Just wait..lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i agree ... awesome story ... loved the detail

i am jealous

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Next time, just give her the credit card and have her buy her own nesting box. [​IMG] Great story!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  8. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Congrats! First egg day is a happy one! [​IMG]

9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    sounds like you were to the point of boiling water........just kidding,,,first egg is always exciting,,enjoy it,I wish I had blown out my first egg and saved the shell...[​IMG]

10. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Congrats on your first egg!!!

I got my first today also....was about to roast them if they did not lay soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by