My first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Prairie Orca, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca In the Brooder

So this egg came from one of the hens (RIR) that I purchased yesterday from a local hobby farmer. Both the hens are about 1.5 years old, so this egg is old news to them.

My very first chicken egg... [​IMG]

Now I have a question...

The hens I bought were kept with a rooster. If the egg is fertile, I want to try and hatch it. If not, then I'll store it for eating.

Is there any way to know today if the egg is fertile, or do I have to wait a few days before 'candling' to see?

2. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    if they were kept with a roo then the egg is fertile [​IMG]

3. Fluff-n-Feathers

Fluff-n-Feathers In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes, i would say that it is fertile... after a few days of incubating it you should be able to candle it and see a chick starting to develop in it. The chick should hatch in 21 days. Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Prairie Orca

Prairie Orca In the Brooder

Seriously? AWESOME. [​IMG]

Neither of the hens were sitting on the egg, so I'm guessing neither of them are interested in incubating. So... now I need an incubator!

Thankfully I already have a heat lamp (ceramic), so the heat is basically covered. Unless it's more complicated than that. o.o

Time for more research... [​IMG]

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Another one hooked into the life of a chicken farmer. Poor soul. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by