My FIRST Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donnaIL, Aug 11, 2008.

1. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    I was just about starting to think I was going to have to wait 6 months--then it happened.

I purchased my white rocks exactly 18 weeks ago on Saturday. My DH when to farm to feed and one of the pullets had layed egg by the door to coop in sawdust beding..anyway he did not see it and stepped on it:( After he stepped on it the chickens all ran to it and started eating it..he grabbed a part of the shell to show me.

I hoped that on Sunday there would be an egg..and that it would be in the nest box -- and it was![​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a medium egg carton, it is a small egg
    [​IMG]

The shell is rougher feeling than store bought eggs but I'm guessing that is normal. I have 6 pullets...can't wait until I find more that one egg.

donna

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! You will have that egg carton filled up in no time![​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    HOORAY! [​IMG]

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Woo Hoo for you! I am starting to think I'm goint to have to wait that 6 months you mentioned my older girls are 20 weeks and still nothing! [​IMG]

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are 13 weeks ond on Thursday and of course I'm waiting to see a first egg- congratulations![​IMG]

6. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Congrats!!! I just got our first egg last night so I'm so excited too!!! Finally!

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hooray for first eggs!! How exciting! Sometimes my eggshells are rough and other times not. Sometimes they have bumps on them too. I think it depends on how much of the crumbles they have eaten.

[​IMG]

8. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] Congrats! Sorry for the one your DH stepped on. But the girl got it right the next time. I am waiting for our 1st eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by