My First Egg

rmurrayslcut

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
South Jordan, UT
I've had my flock for 19 weeks today, and raised them from baby chicks. I think this one came from my RIR. She was laying in the egg box, away from the other birds, last night. When I retrieved this one - quite surprised - she had jumped back into the coop and was looking at the empty box. The egg is about 55% the size of a store egg, but beautifully shaped and brown.

this is what I got the last two days :)

I've read that sometimes the cold can delay egg laying. I'm in Utah, it's gotten cold here already, so I was pleased. But, I also put a red bulb heat lamp out there, as soon as it got into the 402-50s at night, which I think helped.

The breed probably also makes a difference. What breeds to you have?

Congrats on the egg! In some cases, young hens may delay getting into lay if they are due to start laying in winter, when the days are get short. Many chicken keepers provide additional lighting in the coop in winter to encourage their hens to lay. So it's not the colder temperatures so much that influence egg laying, but the day length. Many hens need around 14 hours minimum light per day to keep them in production. My young RIR hen laid through winter with no additional light/heat though. On the topic of winter and cold weather, I think you may find this thread interesting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97134/how-cold-is-too-cold-for-a-chicken

Thank you for the information. I got my second egg today and it looks just like the first.

Do you have any advice on telling which chicken is laying? I strongly suspect it's my Red, based on her behavior, but I don't know. I'm also considering the reported color and frequency of the egg to make my determination. Supposedly, Reds lay brown eggs about every other day.

You just described one of my Barred Rocks. Also, one of my Australorps, although she's not real aggressive. They're a very gentle breed though. I just want them to all start cranking them out. We already ate the first one and it was nothing like a store egg. It was like someone smoking Virginia Slims their whole life and then having a Camel stubby. Way more flavorful and bold. I loved it.

Back
Top Bottom