my first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red_barron, Jul 14, 2010.

1. red_barron

red_barron New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    first of all id like to say thanks to everyone involved with this site it is very helpful ... I'm very new to chickens the four I'm raising this year are the first i have ever been around ... this being said i don't know if what they are doing is normal ... in the last two weeks the two red stars i have have started laying, much to my surprise they are barely 5 months old, i have one that seems to be laying every day but one is only laying maybe every third day; if even that ... could there be something wrong ?? or is this just something it will grow out of ??? i find it odd that the same breed of chicken at the same age would lay differently

2. tri-5-ron

tri-5-ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Orange County
    the slacker will probably pick up the pace within a couple of weeks.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    in the beginning laying can be a bit more irregular, some chickens, even within the same breed are a bit more/less productive. I have 3 same age/breed that started laying with 8 weekes of each other, I thought something was wrong because it took the one soooo much longer. They should be fine in a few weeks [​IMG]

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Your girls just need a couple of weeks til all their laying hormones are regular. No worries- and congrats on your first eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by