My first-ever chickens - what could they be?

Fletch83

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Texas
Hello, everyone! I am new to BYC. Last month I got my very first chickens!
wee.gif

We bought them from a private farm with a ton of chicks so they are almost certainly mixed breed, we are thinking probably Easter Eggers. I believe that when we got them the week before Christmas they were about a week old, although no telling if they were hatched on the same day, so right now I would say they must be around 6 weeks old give or take a few days of each other. Since I am so new to chicken ownership there is also no telling for me if they are pullets or roosters!

We took some pictures to share but since they would NOT stop moving, they are not the best quality! When they were small babies, one was entirely black and one was entirely gray. As they have begun to feather out a lot more, the gray one has started to get more brownish around its neck and chest (actually a very pretty color combination) and the black one has a small amount of white-gray, like a salt-and-pepper beard. They looked so funny a few weeks ago when they were half feather and half baby fluff
lol.png
. They are getting a very small amount of pink above their beaks so far.

Anyway, here are some pictures. What do the experts think?

Thank you for letting me share!

At six weeks I'm leaning toward both pullets. As far as breed.......well, barnyard mix seems to cover it!

I'd love to see pics again around 3 months old. I like mixed breed birds and enjoy seeing how they turn out!

Thank you! I can't wait to see what they will look like in another couple months, so I will definitely be posting more pictures. We are very excited to be chicken owners! Right now though I think I'm much more enthralled with them than they are with me - I've been handling them since Day 1 but they still scramble away from me and screech like crazy when I pick them up
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom