My first exploding egg: please help!

Lexievans11990

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
North Georgia
I’ve had turkey eggs in the incubator for 21 days now. I was half way asleep when all of a sudden a loud bang came from the incubator. I thought the incubator blew up lol. Anyways, this is my first time dealing with an exploding egg. I have other eggs in the incubator. I obviously took the gross egg out and cleaned as much of the nasty green juice as I could. Will this have an affect on my other eggs? I’ve seen some people say it could contaminate them too and eventually kill the embryos.
i just wiped down the incubator the best I could and got all of the visible goo off. The incubator is in my bedroom, so could breathing in the fumes from the egg be harmful? I’m kinda getting paranoid haha. Anyways, will my other eggs be okay or should I look forward to losing a few if not all the turkeys?

Last edited:
ouch that must have stunk the place up. Problem is its hard to get all the gunk without the incubator cooling down lots. Give it another proper deep clean once it's done.
I wouldn't worry about breathing in the bad egg bacteria, just open a window. The eggs however will have already gotten bacteria on them and it's hard to say if they will affect things but at 21 days with only 7 days left you might be ok as the embryo will be well developed already and bacteria takes time to grow and do damage if it does manage to get into the other eggs.

ouch that must have stunk the place up. Problem is its hard to get all the gunk without the incubator cooling down lots. Give it another proper deep clean once it's done.
I wouldn't worry about breathing in the bad egg bacteria, just open a window. The eggs however will have already gotten bacteria on them and it's hard to say if they will affect things but at 21 days with only 7 days left you might be ok as the embryo will be well developed already and bacteria takes time to grow and do damage if it does manage to get into the other eggs.
That’s good to know! Thanks so much for replying :)

byrd gal, I've never had an egg exlode out of well over 100 eggs by now. Lots of them did go bad but candling prevents them staying in the incubator too long. It takes a long time for an egg to explode, this happened on day 21 don't forget.

Mind you incubating is not for the weak hearted, things can go wrong, chicks can die, but exploding eggs should be something that can be controlled 100%

Back
Top Bottom