My First Fancy Chickens

Have you ever had this breed of chicken before? If so, did you like them?

• Yes! They're wonderful birds!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I think that there are chickens much better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wello9

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012

All 5 chicks huddled up by a tree, about 7 weeks old.

Hey, I'm Miranda. AND THESE ARE MY VERY FIRST FANCY CHICKENS!

They came in the mail on May 14, and they were just the cutest little fluff balls I ever saw. Especially my chicks. They came from the McMurray Hatchery, or whatever it's called. We actually oredered about 30 Americauna chicks too, some for my family and some for my grandpa. My chicks breed is... BELGIAN BEARDED D'UCCLE. Variety: MILLE FLEUR. Right now, as of the date I posted this thread, my chicks are about 7-8 weeks old. I took all the pictures of them today that are in this thread. There were 7 in total, but 2 of them sadly died. One died on the day we first got the chicks, which was real disappointing. The other on our last 4-H meeting, which was June 24, I think. It didn't die on its own though, we had to put it out of its misery, because it looked absolutly HORRIBLE. Its wings were drooping, it would hesitate if you picked it up, and it had crossbeak real bad, so it couldn't get any food in there. So we put it to sleep and wacked it with a shovel, as usual. (Also on that day, we found 8 kittens on the road with really bad eyes but we had to leave them. We gave them food that we were taking home from the meeting, though)

Black Cochin Bantam. Hen? About 7 weeks old.

First, this is a female Black Cochin Bantam? I think? Well, it came as a free rare exotic chick in our order. Its about 7-8 weeks old, and its more dosile than my other chicks. I love to play with this one, because it sits on my hand and its just so fluffy! (If anyone has an idea of what breed this chick is, please tell me. Or tell me if im right about its breed or not) I'm not sure if its a female either.
A TIP FOR SHOWING COCHINS: After you bathe a cochin, you should use a hair dryer to dry it so it puffs up a lot more.

Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam. Hen, about 7 weeks old.

This is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam, which has to be a female. 7-8 weeks old, blah blah blah... She has crossbeak too, but she is still very much alive. She's just a little bit smaller than the others, but I assure you she has the best life to live right now for a chicken with crossbeak. It also isn't as dosile as the others. We decided wait on this one, and make sure it can get enough food into its system.

Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam. Hen, about 7 weeks old.

This Mille Fleur D'Uccle chick is my favorite. She's a female, 7-8 weeks old, and what's cookin', doc?
She's the prettiest little girl I've ever seen. (In chicken form, of course) She's my only good looking hen out of the 5, so she'll be at the fair with my favorite little rooster.

Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam. Rooster, about 7 weeks old.

This is the little rooster who is going to the fair with that hen. Mille Fleur D'Uccle, 7-8 weeks old. Male. He's a brave one, who seems to have no problem around me. He's got one big comb growing there. And it looks like he's even got wattles. Nice looking bird so far.

Mille Fleur D'Uccle Bantam. Rooster, about 7 weeks old.

Here's another nice bird. Mille Fleur D'Uccle, about 7-8 weeks old, which I thought was a female, but I figured out that it was surely a male today. Because he tried to crow like big daddy, right? Him and the other rooster seem to fight sometimes.

Well, thats all for now. All 5 of my fancy chickens. (Whew, this thread sure did take long)
My next thread will probably be about our big chickens. So, if you enjoyed reading this, why don't you give me a shout? If you have or ever had this breed of chicken, tell me about it! (Especially if you used them for show) And share pics of them with me if you have some!

Give your little chickens a hug from mamma and wish them a happy birthday.
Don't forget to eat your fruit salad.

Wello9, out!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Enjoy your chickens. It can become a lifelong obsession. You might want to go back and delete your age from your post. Again, welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom