My first feather babies!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by midwestmommy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. midwestmommy

midwestmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]
    We got our first ladies this weekend. They are 4-5 days now.
    New Hampshire Red - Big Mama
    Buff Orpington - Henrietta
    2 EEs, Chip (looks like a chipmunk right now) and Coco
    2 Barred Rocks, not named yet (my DS(4) is rooting for BeBeBea and MeMeMea, but I'm not sold on that)

They're doing great so far, the kids love them and have been surprisingly gentle. Now the snow needs to melt so we can build our real coop before these gals outgrow the house!

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Wow! They are fantastic! :jumpy

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

So cute! And yes, they outgrow the house real quick! I've got three new ones myself, that I got near the end of January, and I can tell you, they are huge now! I've got a Old English Game Bantam, and they are much bigger than her! Although, she thinks she's the bigger one. Through a cage, of course. Enjoy your new babies! Welcome to BYC also, so glad you joined us!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Adorable! [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies!

5. midwestmommy

Feb 3, 2014
    I finally named my 2 BRs, Puff, due to her prominent posterior, and Roxie. I like having names for them all!

Big Mama is gigantic, like double the size of her "sissies". Do NH Reds grow faster than other breeds, or do you think I have a roo on my hands?

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can't tell by growth or size just yet. And while the heavy breed birds will be bigger than the smaller breeds, at this age, they can grow all at different rates. I have had runty chicks and chicks that just tower over the others and all in the same breed!! All of which turned out to be hens as well! So you can't tell just yet. I know the suspense can kill you. LOL

7. midwestmommy

Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks for the encouragement twocrows, the suspense is hard to handle![​IMG] this is big mama next to roxie today.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Looking at the feather growth, they both look the same. The legs look the same too. Usually pullets grow their primaries in early along with the tail feathers. The cockerels will start to grow thick legs. Now, it is still early to really judge, but as far as I can see, they are both growing about at the same rate. I have had chicks shoot up like bean stalks over the others and still be girls. :)

So I will go out on a limb and say these two are pullets. But please don't hold me to it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by