My First Flock of Chicks

CONT DAY 5

OMG!! I just got the cutest things on the planet!!
I only ended up buying 2 more RIR chicks since the remaining ones were so much older. But he also had the cutest little bantam chicks! They are self blue old english. The bigger one is 1 month and the smaller two are 2.5 weeks.

Well im typing from my smart phone and the page is messing up. I cannot post pics tonight, but ill have some in the morning for yall!

Oh lol well we do have a barn but its for horses ha! The chicks are in my livingroom lol
hahahaha i kept my chicks in the dinning room but i didnt have any horses (highly allergic to horses)
sad.png

okay finally have a spare moment to post pics of the newcomers!

Two new RIR pullets (?) and 3 Self Blue Old English chicks.

Just curled right up and fell asleep!

I think they are so cute!

Little Bitty :)

A few more photos. Sorry about the poor quality. I am using my smart phone camera and the lighting wasn't too great! I would love a professional camera!

This is "Three," the little Roo that my son named.

"Wait... wa...?"

So soft and pretty!

Last night when we got home and I put the little biddies in the box, and tried to figure out how to let all of them share the single heat lamp, the littlest one worried me a bit, She seemed less active than the others, and didn't move around like they did. I figured out the heat lamp, then went to get food and water for them. As soon as I put them in the box, all the chicks jumped up to eat and drink. The little biddy didn't move at first, but eventually did. This morning she looked as bright and active as the other two! I was relieve to say the least! She is so sweet, and as soon as you pick her up, she snuggles against your hand and falls asleep. My kids love these guys the most.

I will update on my older chickens too. I also have 2 Cochin hens (Des and Big Mama), a bantam Cochin roo (Brewster), a new hampshire red hen (Little Red Hen, or just Red) and an EE pullet (Littlefoot). I have been letting them out of the run during the day, since I have more trust in my dog to leave them be. They wandered around while I worked on building a brooder for my chicks. My EE pullet, was following my two-year-old little girl around looking for treats. My daughter started yelling about the chicken trying to eat her, and how she didnt want the chicken to eat her! My husband and I laughed so hard we offended her!

We have been getting about 5 or 6 eggs a week from the NHR hen, and I am now collecting them to try hatching them. I want to see if Brewster can do his job or not. I've got two eggs now. I am trying to balance out the incubator but its been since yesterday and it keeps wavering. I put it in my bedroom closet (there is an electrical outlet in there, of all places!) so hopefully it will balance better! As soon as it is at a steady temp, I'll put in whatever eggs I've collected at the time. I think I will probably end up setting up 3 or 4 eggs.

Anyway, that's all for now. Hopefully I will finish the brooder tomorrow. If I do I will post pics. Its getting down to the wire for turkey day though, and I need to clean my house for guests!

Back
Top Bottom