my first goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sammileah, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    so i finally talked my hubby into goats. i found a couple for sale we go look at them. He is all grumpy. I fall in love with the saanen doe (goldie). little did i notice that DH has taken a liking to the billy. ok so we take the pair. the buck is a Kinder which is what i was actually looking for but a buck am i ready for that. guess so. we get all the fence redone my dorky 3 legged wonder dog decided to run threw electric fence yup it works and dog is ok. the goats are getting along well and the dogs are dealing. oh the buck has horns that was 1 of the selling points my hubby liked.
    so ele fence need to get marked better tomorrow and need to make gate. but all is well so far.
    had to share excited

2. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Your billy goat will pee on his beard and stink to high heaven if he's not castrated. But they are full of fun and mischief. [​IMG]

3. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    i knew they peed on themselves didn't know they smelled that lovely.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

5. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Congratulations!

Are you keeping the buck and the doe in the same pen? If so, you may be asking for trouble. If your saanan goes into heat the buck will take full advantage of that and you'll be expecting little goat kids in about 5 1/2 months.

If you want to keep them together and not have any more goats, then you should really wether him. If you don't want to because you want to have goat kids someday, you need to put the buck in a separate pen and get another companion for your doe and buck each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by