my first gosling!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, May 22, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i ordered a tufted roman gosling from ideal poultry along with some chicks. When I got the box it says 1 toulouse goose and the gosling is definitely not a tufted roman. so im wondering if anyone has any experience with toulouse geese? Are they friendly, and do they make a lot of noise?
    i took the goose outside for about 5 minutes to eat some grass and its about 70, is this ok?
    the hatchery marked her with red dot of paint on her forehead and the chicks are pecking at it so i tried washing it off but it doesn't come off. When do you think it will rub away? other then the red dot the chicks and goose get along great and the chicks follow the gosling around like shes their mom [​IMG]
    does this look like she is a toulouse goose, she doesn't look like a african does she?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I don't know much about geese, but that gosling is simply Adorable! [​IMG]

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Awww, I just hatched my first goose last night, a little Roman Tufted, and I have another in the process of hatching.

I'm am just learning about them too. I just put my baby in the brooder with week old chicks, and so far the chicks seem scared of her [​IMG] Hopefully her friend will hatch soon, so they can be together.

[​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have a bunch of 2 week old toulouse. They are hilarious! I got them because they are supposed to be very docile (for geese). They have been outside form about 1 week old during the day. I still bring them into the coop at night with a light though.
    Another thing I read- if you have toulouse- you should not have other kinds of geese with them. They are so laid back they can get picked on. Ducks seem to do well with them though. [​IMG]

Congrats on your new one! They grow FAST!

5. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    He looks exactly like a Toulouse [​IMG] so much for ability to understand the English you wrote your order in lol!!

I had a flock of 12 Toulouse in Idaho. I loved them. The imprinted ones were very, very affectionate and tame. Big lovies even as adults. I had one who was a part time house goose, and used to take naps with me on my chest.

They are a beautiful grey with white underbellies, orange bills and feet when they grow up. Hatchlings have black beaks and dark grey legs and feet but they begin to lighten after a few weeks. You'll love your Toulouse just as much, I promise. You will wonder why you ever wanted anything else [​IMG]

6. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Very cute! Congrats!

7. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    heres some other pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  8. ChickFila

ChickFila Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Looks just like my grey jumbo dewlap toulouse gosling [​IMG]
    Lovely!

9. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:according to ideal poultry she is a hatchery toulouse without the dewlap [​IMG]

10. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    In answer to your question regarding Toulouse, my gander is very friendly and quiet so I think you'll really be happy with your little cutie. [​IMG] My Roman tufted gander is a meanie so you might have just lucked out on this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by