My first hatch... pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgialee, May 17, 2010.

1. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    This is my first hatch. I used eggs from my own birds. Cuckoo Marans, Welsummers and an Australorpe crossed to a splash EE. These babies should lay olive colored eggs. So far 6 have hatched and 1 has pipped out of 11 that made it to lockdown. I still have 4 really dark eggs in there that I have no clue on - can't see through the shells at all... so I have no idea if they were ever fertile or not. I had one chick hatch early on day 20 so I ended up taking the first 4 out before the last 2 hatched.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

still in the bator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    +1 that has pipped

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    These are very pretty chicks! I love barn yard mixes. These chicks are going to be very pretty chickens! [​IMG]

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    PRECIOUS!

ps- walmart is makin a killin on all us bator people with that thermo/hygro unit for $7 lol! I have several of the same type.

4. msheets

msheets Songster

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I bought the same thermometer/hydrometer for my next hatch, glad to see it works well! Do you like yours pretty good & is it fairly accurate? I loved it's price as well...your chicks are absolutely beautiful! Congrats on them (=

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Whenever I see, "pics," in the title, I just have to look! [​IMG] Very nice! Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

About the thermometer/hygrometer .... they are not at all accurate! Really they aren't! I recommend the "Spot Check," as it is made for incubating and is accurate to .1 (on tenth) of a degree. I do use those WalMart $7. jobs for the humididty. Be sure you calibrate it each new incubation. I buy a new one for each hatch, as they really do not last much more than that. They simply are not made for wet spots like incubators. Just my opinion from my experience.

6. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks y'all! I really used it more for the humidity. I have a still air incubator and when I put that on the wire it reads almost 6 degrees lower than the thermometer I use on top of the eggs (I have two that came with the incubator - the lightweight ones.. I just use both to make sure my temp is ok).

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Congrats to you on your first hatch! [​IMG]

They are adorable! [​IMG]

8. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm kind of excited... I have 3 blue babies and I think they may end up being barred (white dot on head, white stomachs). I am really very surprised. They're from my cuckoo marans x splash ee. [​IMG]

eta: ok, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, lol! Blue and blue barred are the only possible chicks I can get according to the chicken calculator. Still very cool though! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. hipeatall

hipeatall Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Congrats!!! What a bunch of cute chickies!
    I've read that if you cross a Barred Hen to a Non Barred Roo, the female offspring end up with a W chromosome without a barred gene from the hen. Therefore all females will be non-barred. If that is true, you might be able to sex some of your little chickies [​IMG].
    I love my little olive egger chicks... I have a whole bunch of them that are around 5 weeks old now... such cuties!
    In case you haven't seen it and are interested... here is the link to The Official Olive Egger Thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131131&p=1

10. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Oooh... thanks! I'm going to hope I'm wrong about them being barred then, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by