My First Hatch! SILKIES!!!!!

TamiP

Songster
Mar 8, 2022
I am over the moon! I bought eggs online and they were not well packaged at all. It took me 40 minutes to get them unpacked without breaking any. I sat them for 24 hours on the counter and the air sacs were still split and sideways etc. I put them in the incubator in egg cartons and gently tilted them just the slightest bit for 3 days. I put the egg roller on and let it go. Temps were steady but humidity was a challenge. I was pretty sure I had killed them all. Days before lockdown I found info that bantams need to lock down early so I locked them down and this morning 5 had pipped and 20 minutes later we had the first hatch. Dumb luck had me sitting and watching it happen. Two more came within the next hour and then nothing. Just now 15 hours later we have another baby who I also got to watch. This is SO exciting! Now if I can keep them alive.

How long should I give the remaining eggs?

Another one is starting when I went over to take pics.

Attachments

• 20220329_220505.jpg
    20220329_220505.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220329_220451.jpg
    20220329_220451.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 8
I am over the moon! I bought eggs online and they were not well packaged at all. It took me 40 minutes to get them unpacked without breaking any. I sat them for 24 hours on the counter and the air sacs were still split and sideways etc. I put them in the incubator in egg cartons and gently tilted them just the slightest bit for 3 days. I put the egg roller on and let it go. Temps were steady but humidity was a challenge. I was pretty sure I had killed them all. Days before lockdown I found info that bantams need to lock down early so I locked them down and this morning 5 had pipped and 20 minutes later we had the first hatch. Dumb luck had me sitting and watching it happen. Two more came within the next hour and then nothing. Just now 15 hours later we have another baby who I also got to watch. This is SO exciting! Now if I can keep them alive.

Congratulations on the babies! 😍Shipped eggs are always such a gamble, so great you had several hatch. You can take the chicks out quickly when they are all dry and leave the rest of the eggs until DAY 24 if you want to be certain.
Do you have your brooder all set and ready to go?

Yes, it's been set up and warm for days with my fingers crossed. I haven't taken them out because there is always a pipped egg in there. After the last one just hatched the next egg poked a good size hole. I'm terrified I'll shrink wrap one of them. The last 2 haven't pipped yet so when this last one is dry I may have a chance.

Yes, it's been set up and warm for days with my fingers crossed. I haven't taken them out because there is always a pipped egg in there. After the last one just hatched the next egg poked a good size hole. I'm terrified I'll shrink wrap one of them. The last 2 haven't pipped yet so when this last one is dry I may have a chance.
You will not shrink wrap them by quickly removing the dry chicks. It takes more than this. You can toss in a warm damp paper towel if you are worried when you remove the chicks.😊

Give them at least 3 more days. There are usually a couple early, many on time, and then a couple lates.

YAY!!!!!:ya We now have 5 fuzzy butts! I can't be sure what color the lighter ones are. I thought blue but they're changing constantly. One is now lighter and showing a few darker areas so possibly a splash? I've got them in their brooder with 2 eggs remaining in the incubator. One may be viable but I'm pretty sure the second isn't going to hatch.
Thank you all for the help! 🥰

Attachments

• 20220330_063714.jpg
    20220330_063714.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220330_063651.jpg
    20220330_063651.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom