my first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cappuccino, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cappuccino

cappuccino In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    RI
    I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to post their experiences with hatching. I just finished my first hatch and I am sure it would have been a bust if it weren't for all the reading I did.

I borrowed my brother in law's Little Giant Still Air. He had done 2 previous attempts, not too successfully. His first was 8 eggs with 1 hatch. His second, 18 eggs with no hatch. He also has a friend who says he only has a 20% hatch rate with the same incubator.

So I put in 12 eggs. 8 of my own and 4 shipped. 3 did not develop at all, maybe not fertilized? 4 hatched, 1 my husband opened too soon, he was sure no more would hatch, it was moving and it bled alot(live and learn). I left the others and opened them today, they were all formed but dead.

I am sure many people have better hatch rates than this but for my first one and with the experience of my brother in law, I am thrilled.

I did a dry hatch but the humidity was still about 25% here, it has been raining almost every day.

Here are some pics of the new arrivals(1 EExRIR, 1 EExSilkie, 2 Mille Fleur D'Uccle) and thanks again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Congrats! They are cuties!!!! My milles are my favorites, so tame and loving!!!

3. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    Congrats on your new babies - I wanna snatch that silkie mix babies and bring it home with me! I just set eggs and have my fingers crossed right now for a good hatch as well. I will be thrilled to get a few to hatch. I can't wait! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    They are very cute. Sorry about your low hatch rates. I am new to this, only had 3 hatches so far & we are hatching at about 75% hatch rate. Which I think is pretty good. I have ordered eggs through the mail & hatched my own. Good luck with the hatching. You will get better with practice or a new incubator. Good luck & enjoy the newbies!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: