My first hawk attack today and dealing with the guilt....

When I have a hawk attack, I lock my flock in their coop and safe run for one to three weeks, until the hawk moves on. The good news is that the hawk will only take one bird at a time, and confining the flock saves everyone else. Lots of shrubs for shelter helps too, but lockdown is essential to discourage the offending raptor. Mary

Thank you! They are in lock down! I am running out of nice days...so a week might be my limit before letting them out again. I will stand right next to them for a few hours and follow them as they free range even if it takes me carrying a boom box at full volume! I want them to have the time to free range before we get our typical 4 feet of snow and they get cooped up for 6 months!

Start by watching for your hawk friend, so you're sure the coast is clear. Then have your birds out late in the day, with you present. Gradually increase their time outside every day, if no raptors appear. Mary

Start by watching for your hawk friend, so you're sure the coast is clear. Then have your birds out late in the day, with you present. Gradually increase their time outside every day, if no raptors appear. Mary

Yes, this is good advice.

Also- watch the chickens' behavior while they're out. They will have their eye out for the hawk after this. By watching my girls closely, I eventually noticed that when they would send up the warning cry, they were all focused on the same spot across the yard. Sure enough, the hawk was sitting high up in a tree in my neighbor's yard, and I could finally see it because the leaves were gone. Once it realized I was watching it too, it actually flew away.

As someone said to me though, the best predator deterrent is never letting them find a meal at your house. Unfortunately your hawk has come pretty close, and I would guess it's going to be hanging around for awhile seeing if it can get lucky.

Last edited:

Strange thing is that the attack was at 4 in the afternoon and there was no fly over or sight of the hawk till the attack, it came out of no where. I have seen hawks flying high and the hens and guineas always get real still and tuck into the brush or dense woods and all is well. This time, it was just a sudden, fast attack with no warning. I watch their reactions to sounds from birds, blue jays, crows, etc. They are smarter than people give them credit for. They know the different sounds and really pay attention. This attack was very sneaky and quiet.

Upon this coming to a very happy ending..I have to state that I feel the health of the hen really made a difference in her recovery being so fast and rapid. I raised them on an organic diet with daily feedings of probiotics either, kefir, yogurt or capsule in their food. They got broccoli sprouts since they were born along with ground flax and chia seeds daily. They had free range to their own garden of organic, broccoli, swiss chard, collard and kale greens daily. I put apple cider vinegar in their water and feed them a ton of fresh herbs from the garden. This hen and all the hens are very healthy. Even when I gave her a bath to get the blood off her, I noticed no bugs, lice or any sign of parasites in the bath water. She got attacked, was dropped about 15 feet, has 4 large nickel size holes under her wings and she is roosting tonight with the flock and even laid an egg today! Amazing!

Also, I love my $45.00 investment in the foscam wireless camera I installed in the coop. My coop is over 200 feet from the house and it picks up my wi-fi with a clear picture and infrared so I can see them at night. It rotates, has a mike so I can talk to them and sound so I can hear any disturbances 24/7. I don't need to run and check on them and gives me peace of mind.

Here is a snapshot off the camera watching them right now roosting. You can take a photo or video of them with the wireless coop camera. This is with it dark and the infrared working. Love it!

WOW, love your camera!!! What model number is it? I want to order one as well!

I can't believe she laid an egg today! She must be a very very strong healthy well taken care of hen..Kudos to you!

Quote: ~I JUST LOST ONE OF MY 2 MONTH OLD SILKIE CHICKS 20 MINUTES AGO TO A HAWK UNDER THE HUGE TREE IN THEIR PEN AREA!!!~
I had a weird feeling yesterday when i wrote in asking about hawks....and i hadn't even seen a hawk for months....i was just thinking with the trees losing their leaves my chicken were a little more exposed.... I just happened to look out the window, and felt something was wrong...and i saw it on the ground in their pen... i ran out and it flew up into the tree and waited...it left the body on the ground(it was not going to get this meal back from me), so i cover the little body with a bucket , got all the other chicks locked up....and there the hawk was still watching me sitting up in the tree... it wouldn't fly away... i ran and got a stick and waved it and it took off...the chickens are still all locked up. Looking out side just now it's back and up in the tree again...great! I just chased it off again. ...i think i now have a hawk problem! I was thinking of stringing fishing line with CD's over the tree and fence....weaving it to keep the hawk out, before this happened... but now i don't think this will work... it was a small hawk and seemed able to fly between the branches ... wow..i can't believe this happened :(

So sorry! Cover your pen with netting or chicken wire or something immediately; the hawk will return until it no longer pays off. They may only hunt every three or four days, so keep the birds out of harm's way for at least ten to fourteen days. Mary

Back
Top Bottom