My first Hawk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by terrigrice, Jun 16, 2016.

1. terrigrice

terrigrice New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    I have 6 young girls about 5 weeks old. They have a chicken house and I made a make shift circle pen around the front of house held down by stakes, so they can stretch their wings... They love it. Well yesterday I heard them making all kinds of noise and I looked out my window and a hawk was sitting in the middle of their little yard looking at all six of my youngsters huddled up in a corner of their house. I ran out and shew'd it off but now I am very fearful for them. What can I do a scarecrow? Put my cat out? I just don't want to lose a bird.
    Help

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Phew what a lucky escape your chicks have had there! I would recommend a secure covered run area for your chicks. Now the hawk knows they are there I'm more than sure it will be back again. Please do check out this section of the learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/maintaining-a-healthy-flock
    It has a good section on predators and pests. You might also like to check out our coop section for ideas on making a safe place for your girls ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Hawks are difficult to deal with as once they get focused on prey, even your presence will sometimes not scare them off. I have walked right past them as I am headed up to the coop as they are lurking close to the chickens and I don't even see them.

The best way to prevent aerial attacks is with either a hard roof or good netting over top your run. No scarecrows, music or even hanging disc's are going to deter them. I have had them dive right on to my hardware cloth and just hang by their talons as the birds run in panic inside the run. Had I only used chicken wire, the hawk would have broken right through the wire and killed my birds. Always use hardware cloth.

Definitely follow the links that Yorkshire Coop has provided and good luck with your babies! Keep them safe! :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, do take Yorkshire Coop and 2 Crows advice seriously.

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

I have chicken wire over the top of the runs. Had a neighbor tell me once that he heard a ruckus..went out to find a huge hawk with his wings stretched out across the top of the run..thank goodness that wire was there. I thought they could see better than that.
    I let mine out to free range in the back. Twice I've been out there at the right time when a hawk was making a dive then saw me. The Coopers are very brazen. The two that I saw coming down were what we call around here...chicken hawks. :/

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already been given the best advice (a covered run) so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by