My first incubation experience!

ahmedamir

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hey Guys, I recently bought an incubator from a local manufacturer and put some eggs (bentum, Golden buff and some local breeds) in it. I put them on 17th in the morning. Any suggestions or Dos and Dont's? One thing my turnings are not that accurately times. Some times they have past around 12 hours :( could it be dangerous. I'll post pics of them soon. I am also looking for some very handy ideas for candling?

Thanks

UPDATE:
Here are some pics:

Last edited:
Hi...I'm on my first batch too. Day 17 now so nearly there. I have been candling them and they all seem to be still alive...can see them moving inside. On your post you said you'd like some ideas for candling. I have tried a few home-made methods but the best had been the simplest. I use a bedside lamp that has a low energy bulb in it...so low heat too and the inner roll of a toilet roll. When I candle the eggs I put the toilet roll tube over the bulb, turn off all the lights in the rooms and it works a treat. I just sit the egg on top of the tube...holding onto it to make sure it can't roll off. The lamp bulb is low energy, there's no danger of setting fire to the toilet roll...especially as I only do it for a minute or 2. I tried other ways of doing it with torches etc... But this way was very easy, didn't cost anything and the egg really lights up.

Hi...I'm on my first batch too. Day 17 now so nearly there. I have been candling them and they all seem to be still alive...can see them moving inside. On your post you said you'd like some ideas for candling. I have tried a few home-made methods but the best had been the simplest. I use a bedside lamp that has a low energy bulb in it...so low heat too and the inner roll of a toilet roll. When I candle the eggs I put the toilet roll tube over the bulb, turn off all the lights in the rooms and it works a treat. I just sit the egg on top of the tube...holding onto it to make sure it can't roll off. The lamp bulb is low energy, there's no danger of setting fire to the toilet roll...especially as I only do it for a minute or 2. I tried other ways of doing it with torches etc... But this way was very easy, didn't cost anything and the egg really lights up.
Thanks charcam. That's exactly what I was asking for :). Good luck with the hatch. Looking forward to see some pics of the hatch and the new upcoming fuzz balls :). I am on Day5 so, still long way to go.

Just so you know...the toilet roll tubes I use are a smaller diameter than normal. Just so happens the loo roll I buy has started doing a smaller width of roll to be Eco friendly. Not sure if a standard toilet roll would be too big(?), might be fine.
I am on day 18 now and the eggs are wobbling on their own. I'm going to stop turning them now. I was doing them roughly 3 times/day...morning, about 4pm, then just before bed. All still alive so seems that worked ok. I have 2 duck eggs in with them, they'll need another week so I'll keep turning them but leave the hen eggs alone. I thought I might have heard a bit of a tap (pip) earlier today. My 12 year old son has made 'Chicktropolis' for them as a brooder....just hoping this last stage goes ok and I don't mess it up. I started candling mine at about day 8... But
I didn't discover the lamp trick until about day 12. My first attempt involved a torch and a black bin bag, then added the toilet roll tube...then progressed to the lamp and toilet roll...very clear but the room needs to be very dark for the best effect...watch you don't drop them in the dark! Good luck with yours...pics look great. I'll try to post some pics when ours pop out.

Just so you know...the toilet roll tubes I use are a smaller diameter than normal. Just so happens the loo roll I buy has started doing a smaller width of roll to be Eco friendly. Not sure if a standard toilet roll would be too big(?), might be fine.
I am on day 18 now and the eggs are wobbling on their own. I'm going to stop turning them now. I was doing them roughly 3 times/day...morning, about 4pm, then just before bed. All still alive so seems that worked ok. I have 2 duck eggs in with them, they'll need another week so I'll keep turning them but leave the hen eggs alone. I thought I might have heard a bit of a tap (pip) earlier today. My 12 year old son has made 'Chicktropolis' for them as a brooder....just hoping this last stage goes ok and I don't mess it up. I started candling mine at about day 8... But
I didn't discover the lamp trick until about day 12. My first attempt involved a torch and a black bin bag, then added the toilet roll tube...then progressed to the lamp and toilet roll...very clear but the room needs to be very dark for the best effect...watch you don't drop them in the dark! Good luck with yours...pics look great. I'll try to post some pics when ours pop out.
Hey Thanks for all the information. Will let you know after I try them out :).

hurray...2 of my eggs have started to pip, I can see a beak poking out through one of them. I stopped turning them on day 18, got very worried on day 19 and 20 as they stopped moving...but this morning...day 21...I saw the first holes. sooooo excited! My children were making cheeping noises at them for encouragement. I am at work (on a break) and can't check on them till I get home later...very frustrating! I will post pics later. Good luck with yours.

hurray...2 of my eggs have started to pip, I can see a beak poking out through one of them. I stopped turning them on day 18, got very worried on day 19 and 20 as they stopped moving...but this morning...day 21...I saw the first holes. sooooo excited! My children were making cheeping noises at them for encouragement. I am at work (on a break) and can't check on them till I get home later...very frustrating! I will post pics later. Good luck with yours.

Awesome Congrats on the pips!!

Hey..... Glad to hear that. Can't wait to see some pics :)

For the time being. Here is candling pic of one of my Golden Buff egg. I guess this one is showing positive developments right?

Here's another angle, though above one is more clear:

I candled almost all of my eggs yesterday, but couldn't take pics of them all. Besides, that's a tiring job ;). It's 8th day of them being in incubator.

Back
Top Bottom