my first incubator

megangreen

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
hello! okay so im convincing my mum to let me get chickens! i've looked at the pros and cons etc. but i want to hatch my chickens, i have done tons of research and have found the breed( pekin bantams)the hutch/coop and the incubator.
but im worried that i wont have any chickens hatch, and would have wasted alot of money. i only want 1-3(preferable2)chickens. so what would be a good amount of eggs to put in and how many would hatch.

can anyone also give some infomation about the incubator- novital 16/ covutto 16. any responce would be apprecieted!
thankyou!!!

I read at Gabbard Farms.....
Q: How many eggs should I reasonably expect to hatch?
A: You should reasonably expect 45-50% of the eggs you ordered to hatch. These numbers are not guaranteed but are based on average success rates from past incubation attempts of shipped hatching eggs. You could do better or worse.

Q: How many eggs should I order?
A: Assuming an average hatch rate of 50% , you should be able to “estimate” how many eggs you will need to order, based on your goals. If your goal is to have 6 hens, for example, you will want to order approximately 24 eggs. (50% of 24 is 12, From these 12 chicks, theoretically 50% will be male and 50% female (though it does not always prove to be a 50/50 split of males to females). This would conceivably leave you with 6 hens.

I think it is variable a great deal..no guarantees.

I just bought an incubator and ordered my first hatching eggs..so it's all new to me as well. There is a lot of information on this site if you type in "incubator" or "shipped eggs" or "hatching eggs".

I've not heard of the incubator you mentioned..so have no comment. I bought a Hovabator

Back
Top Bottom