My first meat birds

Missceegee

Songster
Jun 27, 2021
North Florida
I bought 20 Cornish Cross from TSC a few days ago. Currently, they're in a brood box I built inside an outdoor open air coop. It's Florida so it is plenty warm. 89 degrees at 11 pm. Soon they will move into the new 6' x 10' tractor my husband built for me from John Suscovich's book. We're adding the tarp tomorrow. It will be on pasture and moved daily.

My question is about butchering. I have a guy who will do it all for me for $2/bird whole bird not cut up. That's my current plan since I lack the set up to do my own right now. Is this a good price?

Attachments

• IMG_7723.jpeg
    IMG_7723.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
I don't know where you are at, but I can't process three birds an hour personally. I SHOULD be faster, but I'm not. You figure out what your time is worth to you, then multiply it by essentially a full day of preparation, boiling water, dispatching, scalding, removing feathers, butchering, bagging, and cleaning up afterwards.

If I had invested in specialized equipment, I'm sure I could dramatically better those times, but I haven't. Neither, I'd guess, have you.

Unless a day's labor is worth less than $40 to you, I'd say its well worth the price.

I thought it was an excellent price but since this is my first go I thought I’d ask. His price is either $2/bird or he keeps 1/5 birds. I opted for the $2. Years ago I helped process birds a few times but never the whole shebang. Using him let me get meat birds much earlier than I would have normally.

Side note it is crazy how fast they grow. They seem to grow before my very eyes.

I thought it was an excellent price but since this is my first go I thought I’d ask. His price is either $2/bird or he keeps 1/5 birds. I opted for the $2. Years ago I helped process birds a few times but never the whole shebang. Using him let me get meat birds much earlier than I would have normally.

Side note it is crazy how fast they grow. They seem to grow before my very eyes.
I will chime in and say I would take that deal! The meat birds grow crazy fast. They are the easiest to process, not nearly as many feathers and only 6-8 weeks old so very soft.

Just to give you a bit of perspective on price, I have, what I feel is, a good system in place and with our three person team cranking a full day out, we can butcher at about 3.5 minutes per bird. That's 10.5 work-minutes into each bird. At 15-30/hr that's between $2.5-5 per bird just in man hours for the butchering at my place.

Back
Top Bottom