My First Molt ! dots of blood ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pullorroo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pullorroo

pullorroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Betty looks like she going to walk into the oven for dinner! So funny looking....

Is it normal for there to be tiny dots of blood where the new pin feathers are emerging?

2. pullorroo

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    ....and won't she be cold tonight ?

3. chicklin

chicklin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville
    how cold does it get where you live?

4. pullorroo

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Not cold... it'll be in the 40's in the morning... but if I were naked....I'd be cold

any thoughts on the pin drops of blood ?

5. chicklin

chicklin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville
    maybe you can see pindrops of blood because that is where the feathers have probly fallen out and perhaps you are seeing the very base of where the feathers had each been before they fell out(sorry if my wording is confusing)

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Brand new feathers can be tempting as a treat, some chickens learn to snap them off and eat them. Typically when I see dots of blood on the ends of new feathers that's what's happening.

If it is picking you could try increasing their space, adding gamebird feed to your layer, and eliminating any white lights in the coop, if you have any.

A heat light works great for emergency heating, if she needs it she'll use it, but 40's aren't too cold if you have a good shelter out of the wind.

7. pullorroo

Sep 21, 2008
    Mill Valley CA
    Thanks for the input ... my spoiled California chickens are getting the heat lamp tonight... the fog is thick, cold and damp!

8. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Wow! I didn't know that! Learn something new everyday at BYC
    It explains a few things:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by