My first pip!

rocky871

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
South Florida
I am currently incubating Rouen eggs. Yesterday was day 24 and I noticed one egg had a small hole in it while candling! I wasn’t going to start lockdown till today, but I started it last night, as one started already and I even heard some chirping! I immediately put it back, increased the humidity, and locked it down. But now I’m worried that I handled the pipped egg while candling. Is it going to be okay? This is my first hatch. Is it totally OK to start lockdown a day early? How long will it take this egg to hatch? It’s obviously early. Day 28 wouldn’t have been till Thursday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a forced air incubator, temperature ranges from 99-100, on average. My humidity throughout incubation was around 50-55, now I’ve increased it to around 70. I checked this morning and I’m pretty sure I can see a small bump on the same egg. It’s hard to see the other eggs without opening up the incubator.

These are shipped eggs. I received 16 of them, and now have 8 left that were all alive when I candled them last night.

I am currently incubating Rouen eggs. Yesterday was day 24 and I noticed one egg had a small hole in it while candling! I wasn’t going to start lockdown till today, but I started it last night, as one started already and I even heard some chirping! I immediately put it back, increased the humidity, and locked it down. But now I’m worried that I handled the pipped egg while candling. Is it going to be okay? Handling/candling in of itself would mnot hurt the duckling as long as you were quick about it.This is my first hatch. Is it totally OK to start lockdown a day early? Yes, you did right.How long will it take this egg to hatch?It varies, but not likely to be soon-be patient. It’s obviously early. Day 28 wouldn’t have been till Thursday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a forced air incubator, temperature ranges from 99-100, on average. My humidity throughout incubation was around 50-55, now I’ve increased it to around 70. I checked this morning and I’m pretty sure I can see a small bump on the same egg. It’s hard to see the other eggs without opening up the incubator.Keep the incubator closed if at all possible; sometime a duckling needs help where it is necessary to open the incubator, but this should be done as a last resort.

These are shipped eggs. I received 16 of them, and now have 8 left that were all alive when I candled them last night.
Good luck!

I am currently incubating Rouen eggs. Yesterday was day 24 and I noticed one egg had a small hole in it while candling! I wasn’t going to start lockdown till today, but I started it last night, as one started already and I even heard some chirping! I immediately put it back, increased the humidity, and locked it down. But now I’m worried that I handled the pipped egg while candling. Is it going to be okay? Handling/candling in of itself would mnot hurt the duckling as long as you were quick about it.This is my first hatch. Is it totally OK to start lockdown a day early? Yes, you did right.How long will it take this egg to hatch?It varies, but not likely to be soon-be patient. It’s obviously early. Day 28 wouldn’t have been till Thursday. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a forced air incubator, temperature ranges from 99-100, on average. My humidity throughout incubation was around 50-55, now I’ve increased it to around 70. I checked this morning and I’m pretty sure I can see a small bump on the same egg. It’s hard to see the other eggs without opening up the incubator.Keep the incubator closed if at all possible; sometime a duckling needs help where it is necessary to open the incubator, but this should be done as a last resort.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response! In the event that the duckling hatches, how long can I leave it in the incubator? Should I take it out as soon as it is dry and wait for the other ones to hatch, as this could possibly be Thursday or even Friday? This one is definitely an early one.

Thank you for your response! In the event that the duckling hatches, how long can I leave it in the incubator? Should I take it out as soon as it is dry and wait for the other ones to hatch, as this could possibly be Thursday or even Friday? This one is definitely an early one.
The duckling can be left in the incubator for 24 hours; some think up to 48 hours. Wait until all the eggs are hatch if at all possible. It could easily be two days or longer before the duckling actually emerges from the shell. My call ducks hatch on the 26th day.

The duckling can be left in the incubator for 24 hours; some think up to 48 hours. Wait until all the eggs are hatch if at all possible. It could easily be two days or longer before the duckling actually emerges from the shell. My call ducks hatch on the 26th day.
Thank you so much. I just checked and I noticed that another egg has pipped too! And I heard some chirping coming from the incubator.

I leave mine till they fluff up a little and then get them out into the brooder. I have a very small incubator, and found out pretty quickly that leaving them more than an hour or so created dissaster. The disturbed all the hatching eggs and one of them manage too pin it's neck between an egg and the incubator and suffocated. As long as you have preheated your brooder, you can take them out as each one hatches. I've never been too fussed or had negative outcomes from doing this. I live in a warm humid climate.

I leave mine till they fluff up a little and then get them out into the brooder. I have a very small incubator, and found out pretty quickly that leaving them more than an hour or so created dissaster. The disturbed all the hatching eggs and one of them manage too pin it's neck between an egg and the incubator and suffocated. As long as you have preheated your brooder, you can take them out as each one hatches. I've never been too fussed or had negative outcomes from doing this. I live in a warm humid climate.
THANK YOU!

Also, I have a small fan in there. Is it OK to remove it and thus the incubator becomes a still air incubator once again? I’m just scared of the ducklings getting caught in the fan and dying.

Back
Top Bottom