My first predator attempt

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blake2727, Apr 16, 2012.

1. blake2727

blake2727 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I put my chicks in the coop for the first time last night. I have three dogs (two are litter mates who are curious about everything) and after I put the chicks in the coop one of my dogs came back to the backyard with me but the two litter mates stayed out at the coop. I knew they couldn't get into the coop so I wasn't worried them getting to the chicks as they were locked up and couldn't get out into the run for the night. I woke up at 5 this morning for work and went out to check on them before I left. My two stupid dogs were still out there laying by the coop and had tried to dig into the run. I was so mad at my dogs and they knew it when I was done yelling at them and went back to the backyard for probably the first time all night. I was glad that the concrete footing around the bottom worked and they hit a wall while digging and couldn't get in but was upset that my first predator was my own pet. I haven't had time yet but as soon as it stops raining I am putting an electric fence around the coop and run to make it even harder to get in. I am thinking maybe I should take one chick out and hold it and kind of intoduce it to the dogs, it may not do any good as they may still want to eat it but it may be worth a shot. If I can get my dogs where they don't won't to eat my chickens then they will be great protection from predators as they roam all night. I don't want to make this to long so I will stop now but I had to vent a minute about my dogs haha

2. Iamgrateful

Iamgrateful Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    I just have one very large stubborn dog - but have been dealing with the same problem. I already lost two chickens last fall. I tried the Electric Dog Collar and wired the coop for it but it didn't work with my dog - he broke into the coop run anyway (Hens were inside coop). I added another layer of Heavy Wire Fencing over my existing Chicken Wire so that my dog cannot just rip it open. We also just installed a hot wire (electric fence) all the way around the coop. I think if you put it pretty low near the ground, that will stop your dogs from digging under. Having a board or extra fencing buried about 8-12 inches under also helps. My dog isn't scared of anything and he was very scared when his nose touched that fence. Gotta keep the girls safe!!!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A prime predator of backyard chickens is reportedly dogs. Dogs like to chase and catch things. Chickens will likely entice them to do so.

There are many postings here about how to cope with the chicken owner's own dog and the chickens. If there is adequate protection for the coop and run, the dogs won't get into it. Nevertheless, they may take a long time learning to stop digging on account of its futility.

You have to decide for yourself, if you want to let the dogs have free rein around the chickens.

Chris

4. blake2727

blake2727 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    The good thing is that they couldn't get in to run and for sure not the coop. I think the electric fence addition will hopefully stop them from even trying. If only these two were like my lab who could care less if a chicken was riding on his back all day.

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I also have a beagle, he watches them and sometimes barks but has never tried to get in the run unless I'm going through the gate. Unless I'm in with the girls in the run he usually doesn't care about them. Still afraid to let them free range in the yard wih him though.

6. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    My beagle killed one of my chickens just yesterday. Obviously every dog is different but beagles are built to hunt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by