My first roo crowed :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarinMama, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    He is a beautiful easter egger and we have suspected he was a roo since he was 2 weeks old. He has always been a little more "active" than the others and is always play fighting with the other suspected roo.

Then his comb started getting wider and turned red....he crowed just now at 5.5 weeks old. If my husband and I were not 2 feet away we would not have believed it. It was actually pretty pathetic sounding...but the roo was so proud...puffing our his chest and flapping his wings.

oh well...I guess we will have to get rid of him. No roos for us [​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww I'm sorry. He sounds cute though-it's so funny when they first crow. When I had chickens a long time ago, when my RIR roo first crowed I think he scared himself. [​IMG] He turned out to be a real meanie though.

3. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    I have a beautiful EE too that I think is a roo. Betty is almost 8 wks now and no crow. I wish I could just know already if she's a roo or dominate hen.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I had ordered pullets and weeks later one turned out to be a rooster. What a surprise for us. We have had roosters in the past but they always were mean. I have held this one everyday and he is is now 4months old and I still hold and pet him and he is very sweet and I hope he continues to be because I do not want to find a new home for him. He is a huge Columbian Wyandotte.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I love to hear my roosters crow. I have a cockerel that recently started to try to crow. He is sounding better but in the beginning he sounded pretty pathetic. I have about 6 more that haven't started YET but expect them to shortly.

6. MarinMama

Apr 15, 2011
    I so wish I could keep this guy...he has been a favorite from the start and really handsome. He looks like he will make a good flock rooster as he is gentle with the other chicks but alert and brave.

We are not allowed Roos or I would.....

7. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    Same exact situation! Bought two easter eggers, one always bigger than the others, really a beautiful chick from the start.... comb started to get red and wide and then one morning right around 8 weeks I heard crowing! We had no plans to keep a rooster but 'Big Bertha' now renamed 'The Bishop Don Juan' is really sweet so far and takes good care of the hens... He is pretty, so if he starts to get mean he will have to go on craigslist, we had no initial intentions of keeping a Roo....

8. MarinMama

Apr 15, 2011
    so it has been 2 days and no more crows. [​IMG]

i want to be 100% sure he is a roo before i rehome him because he is a good looking fella and very sweet.

also, i secretly want to hear the crow again because it was so quiet the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by