My first rooster crow!!

Liamm_1

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area (East)
I've been pretty sure that of my 6 chicks I got at 2 days old, that I think only 2 are hens. They are 2 months old now, and the largest one, which I've assumed is a rooster, crowed today for the first time!
It was so cute, he startled all the others when he did it, and I think he even startled himself lol
As a newbie chicken owner, it was pretty cool and exciting.
Now I just need to find out what I can do with him. My first choice would be to keep him, but not sure if my neighbors will mind. Most will be ok with it, but one I'll need to ask. If I can't my second choice would be to eat him
big_smile.png
but I can't imagine myself killing him lol.
So, we'll see what happens.....

Quote:
The best piece of advice I can give a rooster owner is to ASK THE NEIGHBORS FIRST whether they mind a rooster or not. And if they say "no" be sure to give them an "out" if they change their minds later. We didn't think our neighbor minded (for various reasons) until we received a letter from the Zoning Enforcement Officer. We worked it out but it would have been a whole lot less stressful not to have had to worry about the possibility of losing ALL of my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom