My First Run

XanderWiFi

Songster
Aug 6, 2017
Central Virginia
After much trepidation it is complete (for the most part). As a beginner in construction and chicken ownership this method for a run is noob proof!

Our 6x12 run with coop attached on top is a little small for our 10 gals to have appropriate space. Our neighbors had stopped free ranging and another experienced some predator deaths driving me to complete this little project.

I started by running string around stakes to mark the perimeter desired that would be the run. Altogether it is about 25x25 attached to the already existing 6x12. With the perimeter marked and (relatively) symmetrical I began place 10 ft. T-posts. Be ready for a nice shoulder workout with those. I placed the posts 5-7 feet apart from one another.

Next was the fencing. 6 ft. welded wire fencing. I found it easiest with the equipment available to completely run it along and pull and tie to each post individually. Note: I require zip ties to mount the fence to the posts. Your basic t post clips are not big enough to fit around the 10 ft. t posts. Two people are optimal for placing the fence. One to pull tight, one to line up and tie down.

With about 3-4 feet of extra t post above the fence I decided to put in aerial protection as well. Kept it simple by tying 550 cord around the notches at the top of each t post. I then purchased 50x50 aviary netting, spread it out and draped it over top of the posts and 550 cord. There is a lot of extra aviary netting and the stuff can be frustrating to deal with when they send it in one tangled bundle. The extra netting I rolled up and zip tied to the fence to keep it from being run over by the lawn mower.

For now, I have a section for a door where the t posts are about 3 foot apart. Wide enough to get a wheel barrow in if needed. I simply cut the wires and added some rope loops to hook into when I want to keep the wire door closed. I want to build a wooden framed door to replace that section eventually.

And there you have it. The easiest and cheapest run I could figure out how to construct. It is not predator proof. A fox could definitely dig underneath. But it would have to do it in the thick of day while someone is home and around. It is more to keep them from wandering out and about.

I shored up some areas in the fence with logs that are about a foot thick and also put in a compost collection areas inside the run made from a 5x5 "bowl" of logs to keep food from being strewn about. It also gives them some things to play on during the day. We plan to add in leaves, grass, etc so they always have something with bugs to dig and rummage through.

They seem to enjoy it so far. The only issue that came up was them flying up into the netting at first trying to get to the trees. I think they have learned by now though :D

Glad to hear you expanded your enclosure space, next step & important is setting up some kind of predator proofing or alarm. I've worked with "bird" netting, not sure how safe it is from flying predators but it was not fun untangling one of my girls when it got tangled trying to escape. Best wishes & WELCOME to BYC!

Haha yep it has caught one or two escape artists from our coop as well! Leaves are collecting on top of the netting now and hopefully that will allow better visual of the netting. I suppose a hawk could slice or chew their way through the netting but if they want to dive bomb it I do not think it would work the best for them.

Note: I require zip ties to mount the fence to the posts. Your basic t post clips are not big enough to fit around the 10 ft. t posts.
<scratcheshead> Your Tposts are not the standard cross section?
Those clips should work on all cast Tposts, didn't think the longer the post would be bigger 'around'.

Will you replace zip ties with something more substantial... larger clips or ...?

Back
Top Bottom