my first set of chickens

fam5r

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
we bought these chickens in March for the kiddos and us. We made sure we bought the reds(rhode island or new hampshires not sure) as females and I fell in love with the little black chicks(plymouth Rock we were told)so took a chance and we ended up with a hen and rooster. We love to just go sit and watch them about 4 weeks ago they finally started laying. I added some pics so hopefully someone can give me a definate as to what we have and if they are nice looking birds kids are interested in showing in 4h someday.
105648_img-20110721-00052.jpg

105648_img-20110811-00103.jpg

105648_img-20110811-00105.jpg

105648_img-20110625-00223.jpg

the pic of all six is when they were younger right now the rooster has alot of beautiful feathers hanging on his tail and starting on wings so i think they are about 7 months old right now give or take a few weeks.

Yup, the reds look like RIRs or Production Reds. Your BR rooster looks just like mine. Is yours as big a softy as ours? He is the biggest bird in our flock, but even the bantams beat up on him!

Hope your family continues to enjoy your chickens!

thumbsup.gif

We know the rooster is not exhibition worthy as he has a crooked toe. and in response to the question of if he is a softy i would have to say NO h is agressive with the kids and me and tries with husband. if we ignore him and just talk to hens he just fluffs his wings and yells at us. If a hen gets out and we try to put her back he comes right at s full force luckily he has no spurs yet:)

Back
Top Bottom